Is Society In Decline?

9 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

We couldn’t but mi favver had a bow saw so we’d walk to a disused railway line and cut a couple of foot off an old sleeper.

We couldn't afford a favver 😪

7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Just shows that different people have different experiences people sometimes remember something because of a happening like The_DADDY.

I enjoyed my formative years and none of it seemed a hardship at the time.  We knew nobody who lived much differently so we all accepted our lot.

As I've said before, I'd go back in an instant and re-enjoy that warmth of a caring community again.   A few hardships are nowt.

My bold.

I hope this dosent depress you but I absolutely 100% agree.

We had very little but personally I'd swap 2023 for the 70s in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Me grand favver got one for his 50 years service at Tyzack Turners along with 200 woodbines and a keg of Stones best bitter. They believed in benevolence back in those days.

I  can't tell you why I'm laughing but 😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I  can't tell you why I'm laughing but 😂😂😂

Hmmmm, you can't tell why you are laughing?

That sounds like the start on senility. 

Tell me, do you get the urge to wear your underpants on you head, stick pencils up your nose and say 'Wibble'??

Working in the steelworks or factory back in the 70's was a bit like belonging to a family. You worked hard but you also felt valued and looked after.

There'd be a subsidised canteen serving delicious 2 course meals for lunch and chip butties and tea for breaktime. A Christmas dinner dance with free booze and a gift (large Turkey or joint of beef, or a Christmas bonus.

There'd be charabanc trips to the seaside in the summer, with plenty of beer on board and treats for the kids plus spending money. And if you were any good you might play for the company football team, or table tennis club, and there was always the darts team, bowls or the games night. 

The chargehand would have worked his way up from the factory floor so was respected for knowing what's what, and the older hands  would be wise role models teaching the job (and a few wrinkles) to the  youngens, keeping an eye on them to make sure they kept in line, learned respect and didn't go astray. There was a career structure that meant you might be trained at the companies expense at night school or day release if you showed promise and the right attitude, so it was possible to climb all the way to the top.

If you were struggling that would be noticed too, and help offered or you could always ask for it. Some places had their own on site nurse available for accidents or medical problems. And the old TB wagon would visit once a year to get you checked out and make sure you weren't smoking too many woodbines.

Yes today's work places are safer, but mental health is down the pan, and IMO workers don't feel safe or valued. Plenty of people would like to go back to those simpler days

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 3

We aren't half getting some idealistic / romantic visions of what it was like to be a kid in the 50's / 60's / 70's.

Within  50 yards of us in a pit village near Doncaster we had;

The rag and bone mans daughter who worked as a prostitute on the market - married a Polish guy, Joe Sargi, who tried to top himself, my dad helped Charlie Wilson over the road to cut him down.

Georgie Dawson - never worked in his life but wangled his way on to the committee of the local WMC so never had to buy a drink.

Malcolm Chase, adoring parents bought him an air rifle which he used to put holes in the windows of the house opposite, and a motor bike with which he ran over a young girl outside our house.

Perhaps my parents were a bit more realistic with their kids than some.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Working in the steelworks or factory back in the 70's was a bit like belonging to a family. You worked hard but you also felt valued and looked after.

There'd be a subsidised canteen serving delicious 2 course meals for lunch and chip butties and tea for breaktime. A Christmas dinner dance with free booze and a gift (large Turkey or joint of beef, or a Christmas bonus.

There'd be charabanc trips to the seaside in the summer, with plenty of beer on board and treats for the kids plus spending money. And if you were any good you might play for the company football team, or table tennis club, and there was always the darts team, bowls or the games night. 

The chargehand would have worked his way up from the factory floor so was respected for knowing what's what, and the older hands  would be wise role models teaching the job (and a few wrinkles) to the  youngens, keeping an eye on them to make sure they kept in line, learned respect and didn't go astray. There was a career structure that meant you might be trained at the companies expense at night school or day release if you showed promise and the right attitude, so it was possible to climb all the way to the top.

If you were struggling that would be noticed too, and help offered or you could always ask for it. Some places had their own on site nurse available for accidents or medical problems. And the old TB wagon would visit once a year to get you checked out and make sure you weren't smoking too many woodbines.

Yes today's work places are safer, but mental health is down the pan, and IMO workers don't feel safe or valued. Plenty of people would like to go back to those simpler days

Is there an echo 🤔

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

We aren't half getting some idealistic / romantic visions of what it was like to be a kid in the 50's / 60's / 70's.

The rag and bone mans daughter who worked as a prostitute on the market - married a Polish guy, Joe Sargi, who tried to top himself, my dad helped Charlie Wilson over the road to cut him down.

Georgie Dawson - never worked in his life but wangled his way on to the committee of the local WMC so never had to buy a drink.

Malcolm Chase, adoring parents bought him an air rifle which he used to put holes in the windows of the house opposite, and a motor bike with which he ran over a young girl outside our house.

You forgot the bit where Alf Garnett would sit outside his terrace house in a wicker chair calling anyone darker than an albino a wog. 

You didn't like times gone by?

Tough because plenty of did. 

Edited by The_DADDY

36 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not idealistic or romantic at all.  just some of our members sharing their early days and savouring the good bits of those times.

Nobody pretends life was good all the time.  There were tragedies occurred as they always have and always will and I experienced a couple.

The kids where I grew up,  in the 40's and 50's,  were generally not bad kids at all and I think the worst thing we ever did was knock at someone's door and run away, or raid an orchard for apples & pears.

We used to help the odd local pensioner who needed it, maybe running errands or clearing snow etc. The local coppers knew everybody, including us,  and one used to have a cup of tea at our house..

I only remember 2 houses being broken into ( in 30 years ) but that may be because, in the early days,  none of us had anything worth pinching.

Obviously, there would be prostitutes working as they have through history but, as far as I know,  that was mostly down town.  Almost everybody worked, no excuse not to as there were plenty of jobs.

Some might have unpleasant memories but a lot of us haven't so, if you weren't happy at the time,  it doesn't mean that everyone else is romanticising,  you were just unlucky.

Edited by Organgrinder

56 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Hmmmm, you can't tell why you are laughing?

That sounds like the start on senility. 

Tell me, do you get the urge to wear your underpants on you head, stick pencils up your nose and say 'Wibble'??

Read it again brains . 

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Read it again brains . 

Wouldn't I be better using my eyes? 🤔

Actually I've seen what I did there.

It's not my fault, I've been at a party.

Alcohol is NOT my friend 🤣🤣🤣

It was a cracking party if anyone's interested. 

We had jelly and everything 🤪

Edited by The_DADDY