Is Society In Decline?

49 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

You forgot the bit where Alf Garnett would sit outside his terrace house in a wicker chair calling anyone darker than an albino a wog. 

In a pit village near Doncaster?

35 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Not idealistic or romantic at all.  just some of our members sharing their early days and savouring the good bits of those times.

Nobody pretends life was good all the time.  There were tragedies occurred as they always have and always will and I experienced a couple.

The kids where I grew up,  in the 40's and 50's,  were generally not bad kids at all and I think the worst thing we ever did was knock at someone's door and run away, or raid an orchard for apples & pears.

We used to help the odd local pensioner who needed it, maybe running errands or clearing snow etc. The local coppers knew everybody, including us,  and one used to have a cup of tea at our house..

I only remember 2 houses being broken into ( in 30 years ) but that may be because, in the early days,  none of us had anything worth pinching.

Obviously, there would be prostitutes working as they have through history but, as far as I know,  that was mostly down town.  Almost everybody worked, no excuse not to as there were plenty of jobs.

Some might have unpleasant memories but a lot of us haven't so, if you weren't happy at the time,  it doesn't mean that everyone else is romanticising,  you were just unlucky.

Had some great times playing footy on the field at the back of our house and climbing trees etc in the woods - or walking down to Waddy river to catch minnows and bullheads.  Ran errands for old Mrs Tench and Mrs Jones to Bonsors shop for a loaf of bread.

But always an undertow of violence from the meatheads being tall (and skinny) for my age and being "brainy" - always in the top class in juniors and passed for grammar school.

24 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Had some great times playing footy on the field at the back of our house and climbing trees etc in the woods - or walking down to Waddy river to catch minnows and bullheads.  Ran errands for old Mrs Tench and Mrs Jones to Bonsors shop for a loaf of bread.

But always an undertow of violence from the meatheads being tall (and skinny) for my age and being "brainy" - always in the top class in juniors and passed for grammar school.

I think bullies are a feature wherever we have lived,  and whatever decade we grew up in,  and that's a nasty thing to cope with.

Probably happened right from the beginning of mankind and will carry on until we're all gone.

Society pays a lot more lip service to preventing it these days but despite that,  it seems as rife as ever and is not the mark of a properly civilised society.

We have seen how much effort it takes to stop it,  even when the perpetrators are grown adults in Westminster and it shames our nation.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I think bullies are a feature wherever we have lived,  and whatever decade we grew up in,  and that's a nasty thing to cope with.

Probably happened right from the beginning of mankind and will carry on until we're all gone.

Society pays a lot more lip service to preventing it these days but despite that,  it seems as rife as ever and is not the mark of a properly civilised society.

We have seen how much effort it takes to stop it,  even when the perpetrators are grown adults in Westminster and it shames our nation.

Thank you.

A very considered and well observed reply.