Ireland Proposes Culling 200,000 Cows To Help Meet Climate Goals,

Farmers Push Back.....

Countries across Europe are working to fulfill their commitment to shift to a climate-neutral economy. Under the European Green Deal, the climate neutrality objective becomes a legal commitment for the 27 agreeing countries to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 55% by 2030. However, some countries are finding this goal might be harder to achieve than originally thought.

https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/dairy/ireland-proposes-culling-200000-cows-help-meet-climate-goals-farmers-push-back

Your thoughts?

Edited by The_DADDY

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Farmers Push Back.....

Countries across Europe are working to fulfill their commitment to shift to a climate-neutral economy. Under the European Green Deal, the climate neutrality objective becomes a legal commitment for the 27 agreeing countries to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 55% by 2030. However, some countries are finding this goal might be harder to achieve than originally thought.

https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/dairy/ireland-proposes-culling-200000-cows-help-meet-climate-goals-farmers-push-back

Your thoughts?

A first cousin of mine is an Irish farmer he had sixty cattle last time I was there. My wife and I are going to his daughters wedding next month and I'll get his thoughts on this. I'm sure it'll be entertaining!

Personally I'd have thought cows farting would come fairly low down on the ' emmissions ' scale as far as global warming is concerned but hey ho.

Edited by m williamson
  • Like 1

Just now, m williamson said:

A first cousin of mine is an Irish farmer he had sixty cattle last time I was there. My wife and I are going to his daughters wedding next month and I'll get his thoughts on this. I'm it'll be entertaining!

Personally I'd have thought cows farting would come fairly low down on the ' emmissions ' scale as far as global warming is concerned but hey ho.

It's surprisingly high. Beef farming also uses a lot of resources, including a lot of water, so drastically cutting down on beef production makes total sense in an environment that is getting hotter and drier.

4 minutes ago, m williamson said:

A first cousin of mine is an Irish farmer he had sixty cattle last time I was there. My wife and I are going to his daughters wedding next month and I'll get his thoughts on this. I'm sure it'll be entertaining!

Let us know what he says. It'll be interesting to get a farmers take on this ridiculousness 👍

41 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It's surprisingly high. Beef farming also uses a lot of resources, including a lot of water, so drastically cutting down on beef production makes total sense in an environment that is getting hotter and drier.

We're talking about Ireland here. My family live close to Lough Derg in the Shannon. The largest lake in England is Windermere which is 12 miles long and one mile wide.

Lough Derg is 28 miles long and 12 miles wide at its widest point. Lough Derg is only the third largest lake in Ireland.

As you say the environment is getting hotter and drier but there's 3,000 miles of Atlantic ocean off the west coast of Ireland which helps matters somewhat.

I accept that every country should make changes but not sure about this proposal. I'll get the cousins view.

• Like 1