Ireland Proposes Culling 200,000 Cows To Help Meet Climate Goals,

41 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It was a genuine question. Perhaps you don't know the answer?

OK, fair enough. It's ridiculous because let's say every cow was suddenly removed from the UK overnight. 

Will that make a difference to 'global climate change'? 

I don't think getting rid of a few hundred thousand cows will offset the pollution from china's coal fired power stations etc and that's not even taking into account the other major polluters in the world. Then we have the 'green' electric vehicles which are not green by any stretch of the imagination. 

As I said, its ridiculous. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Let us know what he says. It'll be interesting to get a farmers take on this ridiculousness 👍

Why, does he some special knowledge about the effects of methane on climate cos he owns some cows?

I imagine quite the opposite and he or she would present a biased viewpoint. 

12 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why, does he some special knowledge about the effects of methane on climate cos he owns some cows?

I imagine quite the opposite and he or she would present a biased viewpoint. 

As it happens my cousin is both an intelligent man and a kind hearted one. He will have an informed view of the situation as it may well directly effect him.

Don't judge others by your own shortcomings, not everyone brings bias into a debate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

We're talking about Ireland here. My family live close to Lough Derg in the Shannon. The largest lake in England is Windermere which is 12 miles long and one mile wide.

Lough Derg is 28 miles long and 12 miles wide at its widest point. Lough Derg is only the third largest lake in Ireland.

As you say the environment is getting hotter and drier but there's 3,000 miles of Atlantic ocean off the west coast of Ireland which helps matters somewhat.

I accept that every country should make changes but not sure about this proposal. I'll get the cousins view.

It depends on the science really doesn't it? I don't know whether doing this would make a genuinely significant difference to global temperatures. Doing it just in Ireland, likely not, but replicated in a lot of places - maybe?

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It depends on the science really doesn't it? I don't know whether doing this would make a genuinely significant difference to global temperatures. Doing it just in Ireland, likely not, but replicated in a lot of places - maybe?

Let's start in India, then.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

The Republic of Ireland has very little heavy industry, the majority of that was gerrymandered into Northern Ireland in 1922. Irelands major businesses are IT, pharmaceuticals,electrical equipment.  Agricultural products only come seventh, eighth and tenth on their list of exports.

Like virtually every line of business these days there is an element of interference with the environment but less than many other developed nations I would have thought.

However, all countries are under pressure to show some action on environmental issues ( which isn't a bad thing in my opinion ) and Ireland appears to have targeted the farmers in this instance. 

I'll  be interested to get my cousins view on the matter.

6 hours ago, m williamson said:

A first cousin of mine is an Irish farmer he had sixty cattle last time I was there. My wife and I are going to his daughters wedding next month and I'll get his thoughts on this. I'm sure it'll be entertaining!

Personally I'd have thought cows farting would come fairly low down on the ' emmissions ' scale as far as global warming is concerned but hey ho.

Sure I heard /saw somewhere that its not the cows trumping that's the problem , its them belching that causes the most emissions .

38 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Sure I heard /saw somewhere that its not the cows trumping that's the problem , its them belching that causes the most emissions .

Makes little difference, whichever end it comes out of it is apparently a problem, but not as much as energy production or industrial processes which account for over 78% of emissions between them. Agiculture of all types including cattle account for a bit over 18%.

• Like 1