Royal Victoria Hotel Late 1960s

I recall Mr Peter Wainwright was general manager late 1960's to 1970's.In a few days I will try to dig out a photo of Mr Wainwright with a few guests,who came from Derby.

Francypants,I think your auntie Would have probably worked at the Planters Bar in the hotel.

All those years ago many drinkers on Friday and Saturday evenings went suppin'on the Wicker Waggle,a crawl of the Wicker pubs.Someone came up with the idea of trying to outdo others by adding the Planters Bar in the Royal Vic Hotel to the Waggle,that was easily reached by climbing a load of steps on the Wicker.Im now wondering whether there was also a lift.I always thought adding Planters Bar to the Waggle went a bit too far,and was cheeatin'.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the photo I mentioned,of Mr Bill Wainwright,manager of the Royal Vic.He is pictured holding the menu.Derby County players are smiling but really want to continue playing cards.Kevin Hector has already got his dosh on the table lol.

Players who signed the pic for me at a later date were: Kevin Hector,Colin Todd,Roy McFarland,Alan Durban and John O'Hare.

Others on pic were: Roger Davis,Peter Taylor,Bill Wainwright,John McGovern,and Alan Hinton.

I always got my autographs personally signed and never handed them in for someone to get them signed for me.The buzz of handing the pen to the football person was important to me.

The pic was cut out of Goal Magazine from early 70s.

One of my earlier threads on this forum was called...Collecting Autographs.To be found on History and Ex Pats.I'm considering opening it up again.

Further to the Wicker Waggle: The original Harlequin on Johnson Street was part of the Wicker Waggle.The Manchester Hotel,on Nursery Street wasn't part of the Waggle although some tried to make it so.The original Harlequin and the Manchester Hotel were two of the three pubs called 'The River Pubs',the other being The Brown Cow,on Mowbray Street.

Strangely enough,all three were Wards pubs.

• Like 1