The Missing Titanic Sub

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

In my opinion, there's very little difference between billionaires paying a big fortune to go below the water in a submersible & someone paying a small fortune to people smugglers to cross a body of water. 

Both groups are well aware of the dangers & nobody is forcing anyone to undertake either voyage. 

Also as I understand it, the trawler in the Mediterranean refused a number of offers of help from various other crafts before they got in any real difficulty. 

Edited by Baron99

19 hours ago, ThaBoom said:

Your point is valid, let's do hope things are learnt etc

However, the CEO was forewarned and his reckless behaviour cost his life along with 4 others.

That is exactly what the Titanic's captain did- was told there were ice bergs and they should slow down-but what did Captain Smith do...SPEEDS UP! His reckless behaviour cost 1500 lives.

At that speed, hitting an ice berg was going to have serious consequences- even if some ppl believed the ship was indestructible.

There were a couple of factors,   Wasn't Bruce Ismay to blame for putting pressure on Smith to beat the existing time record for the crossing.  Plus to cut financial corners,  the rivets used  securing the panels were a cheaper version to the original more exspensive stronger ones chosen in which an engineer pointed out and was proved correct and still ignored even when the Titanic collided with  another vessel before the ill fated voyage.  

4 hours ago, redruby said:

That a young person shouldn’t do something to please their parents if they think it might be risky?  
Well for a person of simple intellect, I suppose it’s that’s not difficult.  The lad says ‘it’s dangerous, I’m not doing it’.  End of story.  

Looking at the complexities of human emotion as to why young people are particularly vulnerable to feeling compelled do things against their better judgment to please others is probably a step too far. So I’ll leave you to play with your little giggling and scratchy head emojis.

Hmmm... :huh:

Nope! Not even close!

My point (as I'm sure most people will have got at the first attempt) was that people need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and NOT always look to blame someone else when things go wrong.

No matter how many rules and regulations we have to protect people from themselves and to stop people doing something that they want to do...

... if people really want it enough and if there's a loophole to be found, then someone will find it! :roll:

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

In my opinion, there's very little difference between billionaires paying a big fortune to go below the water in a submersible & someone paying a small fortune to people smugglers to cross a body of water. 

Both groups are well aware of the dangers & nobody is forcing anyone to undertake either voyage. 

Also as I understand it, the trawler in the Mediterranean refused a number of offers of help from various other crafts before they got in any real difficulty. 

They both took risks, that's true. I agree, no one forced either of them.

from the Guardian comment... “It’s sad that a submarine carrying five rich people was given much more consideration, coverage and importance than the migrants on the Greek boat,” he said. “Millions of dollars must have been spent to rescue the rich, but for the poor, there’s no such opportunity. Even the Pakistani government was not paying any heed to the issue.”'

They also miss the point, that to go and find this capsule involves lots of organisations trying out their equipment to see how it can improved or what doesn't work. That was the comparison I was making earlier with OGrinder but I perhaps didn't get that across well. These rich people took a risk (not one I would do even if rich), but quite obviously getting on a boat like the picture is incredibly risky. 

The problem with the relatives argument here is the relatives could have stopped the people going for these illegal boats (unless they didn't know about it, which doesn't seem likely for all of them, they put money together as a family, so they know what's going to happen). Perhaps if their authorities spend their money on stopping traffickers then they would have a point. They should be looking closer to home. 

That's why I said earlier this is a poor comparison. 

Also, how many millions does it cost for each country to have naval vessels, and also how many millions is raised by europeans to pay for things like the lifeguard, and the volunteers that risk their own lives to save these people (and their own people)? Millions, billions in fact if add both together, so his argument doesn't hold up.

• Like 1

The mother of the 19 year old who lost his life on the sub said she gave up her place to allow her son to go on the sub. He wanted to fulfil his dream to try and break a Rubik cube record 3,700m under the sea. 

She said both father and son had wanted to go down for a very long time.  

The boy’s mother was waiting for them on the support ship when news came through that contact had been lost.   

10 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The mother of the 19 year old who lost his life on the sub said she gave up her place to allow her son to go on the sub. He wanted to fulfil his dream to try and break a Rubik cube record 3,700m under the sea. 

The boy’s mother was waiting for them on the support ship when news came through that contact had been lost.   

Poor woman,  What a terrible experience for her to have to face when it was all so unnecessary. There are always other victims besides those who die.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Poor woman,  What a terrible experience for her to have to face when it was all so unnecessary. There are always other victims besides those who die.

The poor woman looked heartbroken when she gave the interview on TV.  

Guest ThaBoom
1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

That's not what the aunt said, her details were the opposite. 

That her nephew was terrified, and he didn't want to go, but did it because of a father day thing.

Now, the mother is saying he was excited and even took his rubiks cube to break a record?!

Sadly, none returned so that's that.

18 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

That's not what the aunt said, her details were the opposite. 

That her nephew was terrified, and he didn't want to go, but did it because of a father day thing.

Now, the mother is saying he was excited and even took his rubiks cube to break a record?!

Sadly, none returned so that's that.

He could have mentioned to his aunt that he was nervous, but it showed you a photo of him in the sub laughing and holding his rubik cube.  Whether he was frightening or not makes no difference now, as you say none returned.