Sheffield On The Beach V Meadowhall

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I think it needs to be clarified that private land or not is irrelevant.  Places still need permission to do things on that land.

If one owned a large field or piece of concrete wasteland, they couldn't just whack up two buildings without permission. There are entirely private bits of land which require permission and approval just to put up certain type of sign or illuminated board or even change the layout of their own doorway.

The land at meadowhall is currently designated car parking space. I seriously doubt that meadowhall is going to be able to plonk some major leisure attraction and open it to the public without some form of permission.

In fact, from reading the article, it seems that planning permission was already granted for the attraction sometime back last year in September. The uncertainty remains as to whether or not meadowhall are going to go ahead with whatever activities its proposed.

There is nothing showing on the planning portal as stated. I only searched for the Meadowhall postcode though. 

I will offer an opinion though... If I want to go to a beach I will go to a real beach, and not some artificial effort whacked in a car park or whatever. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

glad to see sheffield will have its free beach and fun again this year,but heard SCC have agreed to let meadowhall do a larger event on the same weeks,trust theres will be chargeable ? what do others think?

What do you think about it B1?

23 hours ago, bassett one said:

glad to see sheffield will have its free beach and fun again this year,but heard SCC have agreed to let meadowhall do a larger event on the same weeks,trust theres will be chargeable ? what do others think?

It's about time Sheffield had its own proper outdoor pool like the old Lido at Millhouses, but better.

Technology is such now that it can be heated by solar energy, and have a retractable roof for year round use.

Better still an outdoor seaside complex, similar to the inland beach in Brisbane.

5,523 South Bank Beach Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

Summers are supposedly getting hotter and we are about as far from the seaside as it's possible to get, so it would be very popular. 

Sheffield is looking for its own USP. This could be it.

• Haha 1

A written reply with an opinion as to why it couldn't happen  would be more useful than an emoji HHR... 

( And yes money is always part of the problem, so it would probably have to be private enterprise company like Merlin with the cooperation of the Council.)

Rother Valley might be a suitable venue.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's about time Sheffield had its own proper outdoor pool like the old Lido at Millhouses, but better.

Technology is such now that it can be heated by solar energy, and have a retractable roof for year round use.

Better still an outdoor seaside complex, similar to the inland beach in Brisbane.

5,523 South Bank Beach Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

Summers are supposedly getting hotter and we are about as far from the seaside as it's possible to get, so it would be very popular. 

Sheffield is looking for its own USP. This could be it.

I am not fully convinced.

We are barely 70 miles from a seaside resort which can be reached in less than 90 minutes.  There are at least a dozen others all within around 2 to 2 1/2 hours drive away.  Those wanting seaside experience can easily get the real thing quite easily. As is proven by the thousands who flock to the coast every weekend. There are plenty others who have caravans or camping or holiday lets that they go so regular it just becomes almost part of their routine week.  So I don't think location and distance from the sea is a big inconvenience.

As for outdoor swimming, I again think it's  little bit more variable. Whilst its true that there is a rise in popularity of outdoor swimming, from what I read, this appears to be more 'wild' type swimming in rivers and lakes rather than simply an outdoor pool. I am sure it would be lovely on a bright summer day. But what about a cooler dull cloudy day like today where the vast majority of people are at work and the kids are back in school. Who funds it then? Where's it's footfall coming from? Whose paying for the massive bills of maintaining it and heating it? Making sure it's all compliant and safe?

Its all well and good having these attractions out on a temporary basis which draw some crowd in with some novelty but its a different story to keep something a viable business long term in a permanent position. We are not Dubai or Las Vegas. We don't achieve great tourism and theme park style attractions.

Such a spectacular project is impressive, but it would require vast amounts of money which I'm just not convinced would solidly be there  particularly after the initial novelty wears.  Let's also not forget the glaring difference between climate in Brisbane and Sheffield.

That's before we think about the costs of such things and ticket price.  For most, that traditional seaside experience is generally a modest price point. Those amusement arcades and ice creams at Cleethorpes and Scarborough and Skegness suit a certain price pocket. A fancy fake seaside attraction in the middle of a big city with big city rents and big city prices might not be so attractive, especially when playing arcades are suddenly £5 ago or a swim in that fake sea is £25 per person.

If you want a slight taster at what im getting at, take a look at the cost of playing, say, a game of pool or ten pin bowling in old fashioned seaside amusement arcade versus the cost of playing the same types of game in one of these very trendy but novelty activity bars that's opened up in the city. 

There is only is certain size of pool of customers willing to shell out like that consistently week in week out. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

A written reply with an opinion as to why it couldn't happen  would be more useful than an emoji HHR... 

I suggest you join the HHR fan club, Anna.

Us members get regular news updates and solutions to the Worlds problems...

Become the proud owner of a Prestigious HHR  T shirt.

Give it a go Anna, hit the subscribe button, It's free..........

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Padders said:

I suggest you join the HHR fan club, Anna.

Us members get regular news updates and solutions to the Worlds problems...

Become the proud owner of a Prestigious HHR  T shirt.

Give it a go Anna, hit the subscribe button, It's free..........

Hmmm... :huh:

Now either Mr Padders has been having a lunchtime session with his favourite Old Speckled Hen...

... or Flapper is trying to stir up a bit of trouble again while Mr Padders is having his afternoon nap!

Either way, take my advice... don't do it!

You will be drawn into a world where nothing is as it first appears - a world where you will be actively encouraged to argue with everyone - including yourself!

Totally innocent posters will become your focus of attention, with the aim of annoying them sufficiently with your repetitious drivel that they give up posting for evermore.

These "cults" are impossible to escape once they have you under their power...
... and they can affect rational thinking to the extent that you begin to believe EVERYONE has multiple forum accounts but yourself!

The "Mr Risen Fan Club" has a lot to answer for... :help:

• Haha 3

OK, a seaside complex might be a bit ambitious, but I'd still like an outdoor pool with a retractable roof. Might even be able to replace one of the swimming pool rooves already in existence when they need a refurb.

The Hillsborough pool for example might be a good option.