Sheffield , Its A International City Now .

9 hours ago, Delbow said:

Of course it's on the right thread - the premise of the thread is 'why isn't it the old days anymore?', along with 'they moved the market, they moved the chuffin' market, I..I..I just can't take it anymore Margaret, they moved the market, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy did they do that, no I won't have a pint of tasty beer to make me feel better, nothing can make it better anymore Margaret because they moved the maaaaaarket and now there's blacks in it'

:hihi:

I do think it's amusing that while the forum increasingly resembles a Friends of Enoch support group, its delicate members are crying about how unfaaaaaiiiir it is that it's not quite yet the safe-space echo chamber they think it should be.   'Wahhhh!  The liberal intelligentsia won't let me write about how I think I'm being ethnically cleansed!  I'm being silenced by Guardian-reading Lefties!' one says, as he writes about how he thinks he's being ethnically cleansed.  Magnificent.

12 hours ago, Delbow said:

I do find it odd how many (not all, obviously) of the older generation rail at how things are nowadays and go on about how great it was in the old days, seemingly without any insight that that's how the older generation viewed them when they were young. This is what happens when you get old I'm afraid - you look around and it's not the same as it was when you were young, and if you've got a fixed mindset you can't accept that it's not 100% worse than when you were in your prime. You lot have had your day, I genuinely hope you enjoyed it because if you didn't then you've had a terrible life if you've spent all of it moaning about other people being different to you. But it's not your day anymore, it's somebody else's, and in 50 years time some of them will be moaning about how it was much better in them 2020s they had then.

What's odd about it and what do you mean by "rail" ?

Is it the case that some state their views and that's a comment but someone else states theirs and that's "railing."  That would seem like 2 different standards to me.

Similarly, are we not allowed to talk of the past any more ?  We are all entitled to our own likes and dislikes and any attempt to prevent us writing about them would amount to censorship.

I find it hard to see what's so annoying about it but maybe, that's because I'm old. myself.  Whether we accept change makes no difference because it happens anyway.

I've certainly enjoyed my life and I'm sure most of those in my age group would say the same.  The simple answer is, if what we say annoys you so much,  just don't read it and move on to the next post.

39 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Is it the case that some state their views and that's a comment but someone else states theirs and that's "railing."  That would seem like 2 different standards to me.

Similarly, are we not allowed to talk of the past any more ?  We are all entitled to our own likes and dislikes and any attempt to prevent us writing about them would amount to censorship.

I find it hard to see what's so annoying about it but maybe, that's because I'm old. myself.  Whether we accept change makes no difference because it happens anyway.

I've certainly enjoyed my life and I'm sure most of those in my age group would say the same.  The simple answer is, if what we say annoys you so much,  just don't read it and move on to the next post.

When we were young all those years ago we did not expect much and were happy with what we had.

Then came TV and later social media.

People expected more and were disappointed when they realised they could not have everything advertised or what appears essential.

Most of our fathers and other relatives had served in the forces and passed on discipline to their children.

Self respect and "What would the neighbours think " were strong values.

The one parent families were mainly as a result of the father being killed in the war.

I could go on but it would get boring.

What I see nowadays are pressure groups looking for causes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

When we were young all those years ago we did not expect much and were happy with what we had.

Then came TV and later social media.

People expected more and were disappointed when they realised they could not have everything advertised or what appears essential.

Most of our fathers and other relatives had served in the forces and passed on discipline to their children.

Self respect and "What would the neighbours think " were strong values.

The one parent families were mainly as a result of the father being killed in the war.

I could go on but it would get boring.

What I see nowadays are pressure groups looking for causes.

Quite so,  along with the wish to silence people who's message they don't like.

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Have you noticed your habit of inventing your own interpretations of what people post and then replying to that false interpretation rather than what was written? I think a few others have.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Have you noticed your habit of inventing your own interpretations of what people post and then replying to that false interpretation rather than what was written? I think a few others have.

So what I say doesn't annoy you then ?

Well, I'm glad we've got that sorted. 

You never did say what your post  #99 was all about then if I've  invented a false interpretation.

Edited by Organgrinder

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

So what I say doesn't annoy you then ?

Well, I'm glad we've got that sorted. 

You never did say what your post  #99 was all about then if I've  invented a false interpretation.

No, I'm generally laughing when I post on here, is that not fairly obvious? Post #99 shouldn't need explanation - Hecate understood it, for example. I bet there are refugees in Sheffield who have had to learn the language who wouldn't need it explaining to them.

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

No, I'm generally laughing when I post on here, is that not fairly obvious? Post #99 shouldn't need explanation - Hecate understood it, for example. I bet there are refugees in Sheffield who have had to learn the language who wouldn't need it explaining to them.

I wondered why you find it so odd that some of the older generation "rail" at how things are nowadays ?

Maybe it's because older people know what it's like to be old whilst younger people still have this to learn, despite them thinking they can guess what it's like.

I often wonder why younger people "rail" too.  The world is obviously how the younger people want it to be and it's certainly not going to change back, so I would have thought they would be happy now.

When I was old enough to start going for a pint,  I sometimes sat with some of the old lads and found them very very interesting company. 

Age doesn't mean that every separate generation need to be alien to each other and for their lifestyles never to mix.  There need be no demarcation at all and,  it's not over until it's done.

9 hours ago, Hecate said:

:hihi:

I do think it's amusing that while the forum increasingly resembles a Friends of Enoch support group, its delicate members are crying about how unfaaaaaiiiir it is that it's not quite yet the safe-space echo chamber they think it should be.   'Wahhhh!  The liberal intelligentsia won't let me write about how I think I'm being ethnically cleansed!  I'm being silenced by Guardian-reading Lefties!' one says, as he writes about how he thinks he's being ethnically cleansed.  Magnificent.

Damn

I promised I wouldn’t contribute further to this thread but hey along comes ‘ an obstinate headstrong girl ‘ to dish out the very smart ass comments to which I dared to object

24 k posts ?

Wow you’ve certainly got an opinion on just  about everything that you feel we should all know about 

Well done you 

26 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Damn

I promised I wouldn’t contribute further to this thread but hey along comes ‘ an obstinate headstrong girl ‘ to dish out the very smart ass comments to which I dared to object

24 k posts ?

Wow you’ve certainly got an opinion on just  about everything that you feel we should all know about 

Well done you 

Warned you it was addictive !