Sheffield , Its A International City Now .

I expect many Sheffielders felt the same in early centuries when many of  the Romans and Viking tribes settled here after they invaded us.

Still at least we haven't had an influx of Leeds people coming to live in Sheffield, so that's a blessing. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, janie48 said:

I expect many Sheffielders felt the same in early centuries when many of  the Romans and Viking tribes settled here after they invaded us.

Still at least we haven't had an influx of Leeds people coming to live in Sheffield, so that's a blessing. 😉 

Those Romans and Vikings built a market at the configuration of the Don and Sheaf , a thousand years later our Town planners destroyed Sheffields first meeting and trading area .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Those Romans and Vikings built a market at the configuration of the Don and Sheaf , a thousand years later our Town planners destroyed Sheffields first meeting and trading area .

Hmmm... :huh:

So it took them a thousand years then?

That sounds about right... :hihi:

• Haha 3

I’m 75

This city bears no resemblance to the one  I grew up in . Anyone from our generation will tell you the same.

Theyre scared to say on here why that is .

What sort of country have we become when that’s the case ?

5 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

I’m 75

This city bears no resemblance to the one  I grew up in . Anyone from our generation will tell you the same.

I'll be 70 soon and hate going into the city centre now because I feel like an ethnic minority in a 3rd world country. I much preferred the England of the 60s and 70s when we had a distinct English identity because I feel that mono-culturalism is the glue that binds societies together whilst multi-culturalism is divisive and destroys the social fabric of a nation. It's happened because of decades of foolish and misguided immigration policies from both parties that have seen this country swamped with people from the most backward countries in the world who bring their backward cultural attitudes and practices with them and I'm sure one of the reasons for the growing national debt is governments having to borrow more and more to try and maintain first world standards in what is becoming a third world country. People are scared to speak out because political correctness is the western form of Islam; it operates by creating a climate of fear through indoctrination, backed up by bullying and intimidation.

I know it's all been very enriching because we've been told it is by the politicians whose immigration policies have created this situation since the 80s, but I don't feel enriched, just ethnically cleansed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

I’m 75

I fully agree with what you say and have said similar countless times.

I would also agree with a lot of what despritan has written.

I am aware that our age brings on a related nostalgia when we look back but that doesn't bar us from liking what we knew and grew up in and spent time in with loved ones now gone.

Our governments have often been foolish in their policies and, the Windrush example shows that  these policies come about,  for their own selfish reasons and not through any desire to make society better.

There will always be many detractors of what we have to say but, we are entitled to like what we wish and some of the younger poster's views will change,  as they get older and become more change resistant.

Another problem is, that as soon as you start discussing such things, someone jumps in with a "racist" tag,  and it's lack of discussion that prevents us airing our views as we should.

Our governments policies on immigration have never been properly thought out,   and it's implementation has never had the proper checks that it should have.

Edited by Organgrinder

On 24/06/2023 at 09:02, cuttsie said:

As said it was a sudden eye opener on the Moor yesterday , interesting to say the least .

I don’t live in Sheffield but every time I’m there it’s blindingly obvious.  Sheffield introduced the “ Sanctuary City”   concept to UK from the USA  around 2008 I believe.  Sheffield is so much richer for it. 

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I fully agree with what you say and have said similar countless times.

I would also agree with a lot of what despritan has written.

I am aware that our age brings on a related nostalgia when we look back but that doesn't bar us from liking what we knew and grew up in and spent time in with loved ones now gone.

Our governments have often been foolish in their policies and, the Windrush example shows that  these policies come about,  for their own selfish reasons and not through any desire to make society better.

There will always be many detractors of what we have to say but, we are entitled to like what we wish and some of the younger poster's views will change,  as they get older and become more change resistant.

Another problem is, that as soon as you start discussing such things, someone jumps in with a "racist" tag,  and it's lack of discussion that prevents us airing our views as we should.

Our governments policies on immigration have never been properly thought out,   and it's implementation has never had the proper checks that it should have.

I think some situations could have been managed better, eg Rumania and Bulgaria joining the EU and the UK not handling movement  from those countries in the way that Germany, France, and others did .

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

If people move to another country they should integrate into the ways of their chosen country and ensure their children integrate.

Just out of interest, do you think the same about the significant English communities that are in Spain, who dont mix with the locals? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Like 1