Fire Stick

cuttsie

You won't be able to stream anything. Depending what data plan you have on your mobile phone, you can turn that into a WiFi hotspot (on most phones) and connect the Firestick to the phone. Just be careful with the data amount on your mobile plan. Data can be very expensive on PAYG.

If you have the Firestick to play video via an OTG cable and storage, it should be fine.

Edited by zach
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

If i take my fire stick with me to the East coast will it work on TV without internet

I don't even know what a Fire Stick is Cuttsie?

If I go to the East Coast the only stick I get is "A Stick of Rock"

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

I don't even know what a Fire Stick is Cuttsie?

If I go to the East Coast the only stick I get is "A Stick of Rock"

Thats not help full Paddders , In fact i know where you can stick that stick of rock . 🤣

14 minutes ago, zach said:

You won't be able to stream anything. Depending what data plan you have on your mobile phone, you can turn that into a WiFi hotspot (on most phones). Just be careful with the data amount on your mobile plan. Data can be very expensive on PAYG.

If you have the Firestick to play video via an OTG cable and storage, it should be fine.

OTG cable ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

OTG cable ????

Its like a splitter cable that lets you plug a USB device into the Fire stick (the existing single USB port on the fire stick is used to power it)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224902180129

In theory you could fill up a USB stick with TV and movies and get the fire stick to play them back.

Edited by alchresearch

4 hours ago, zach said:

You won't be able to stream anything. Depending what data plan you have on your mobile phone, you can turn that into a WiFi hotspot (on most phones) and connect the Firestick to the phone. Just be careful with the data amount on your mobile plan. Data can be very expensive on PAYG.

To further on from this, depending on your phone you can set an artificial data cap so you don't go over your allowance, if you've not got a spending cap turned on for your account.

On my Android it's under Settings > Mobile Network > Data Usage > Data Usage Limit

But for the average user, a streaming stick like a Fire Stick won't work without WiFi, or a lot of fiddling like alchresearch mentioned.

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

To further on from this, depending on your phone you can set an artificial data cap so you don't go over your allowance, if you've not got a spending cap turned on for your account.

On my Android it's under Settings > Mobile Network > Data Usage > Data Usage Limit

But for the average user, a streaming stick like a Fire Stick won't work without WiFi, or a lot of fiddling like alchresearch mentioned.

I always forget you can do that, but I've never used my 15GB per month...ever!

When did cuttsie mention the OTG? It's not showing on my page. I thought the t'owd lad had a senior moment and quoted me but forgot to add what he wanted to ask :) 

• Like 1