Can Anyone Lend Farage A Tenner?

On 29/06/2023 at 13:15, Prettytom said:

Failed parliamentary candidate Nigel Farage is whining because his bank accounts have been frozen. He says it’s an attempt to force him out of the country.

There are a number of very specific reasons why bank accounts are frozen. If mine had been frozen, I’d be keeping quiet about it.

Suitable anti-woke link to appease the snowflakes:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1785774/nigel-farage-bank-accounts-closed/amp

This is actually really serious, and (as far as Farage is concerned) I speak as a Remainer.

The banks are basically censoring people by closing down their bank accounts with no explanation.

How bad is this...... :

Nigel Farage, a vicar who complained about a lender’s support of Pride, and a free speech group – they have all made headlines after their bank accounts were shut down with little warning. 

It has sparked a backlash with banks accused of refusing customers because of their political beliefs, raising the question: what are your rights and what can you do if you fall victim?

A bank can shut a person’s account at any time, with limited notice, for a long list of reasons and are generally not legally required to say why.

This can cause confusion and financial problems for many people, especially when they believe they haven’t done anything wrong

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/current-accounts/why-banks-close-accounts-agreement-violations/

I have been saying for years this country, and much of the world, is becoming less free, more authoritarian (and more woke), but this is beyond anything I could have dreamt of.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is actually really serious, and (as far as Farage is concerned) I speak as a Remainer.

The banks are basically censoring people by closing down their bank accounts with no explanation.

How bad is this...... :

Nigel Farage, a vicar who complained about a lender’s support of Pride, and a free speech group – they have all made headlines after their bank accounts were shut down with little warning. 

It has sparked a backlash with banks accused of refusing customers because of their political beliefs, raising the question: what are your rights and what can you do if you fall victim?

A bank can shut a person’s account at any time, with limited notice, for a long list of reasons and are generally not legally required to say why.

This can cause confusion and financial problems for many people, especially when they believe they haven’t done anything wrong

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/current-accounts/why-banks-close-accounts-agreement-violations/

I have been saying for years this country, and much of the world, is becoming less free, more authoritarian (and more woke), but this is beyond anything I could have dreamt of.

sigh, catch up slowcoach

38 minutes ago, melthebell said:

if youre on twitter you can click it and read all of his following replies,  the threshold is £1m with the bank, or £3m in savings

The Daddy and Dr Tops still wont believe it though as Simon Jacks is part of the BBC ;)

the bbc news article on the matter appears to be based on speculation or comment from an unnamed third party (described as "people familiar with Coutts")   but it is presented as fact, with the headline "Nigel Farage bank account shut for falling below wealth limit"

The bank wouldn't comment, for obvious reasons

I wonder what BBC verify think of this.

Edited by fools

I wonder if there is such a thing as 'A duty of care' when banks close a customer's account for no good reason. Assuming that this is what has been going on? There can be dire consequences for customers. 

4 minutes ago, mart said:

I wonder if there is such a thing as 'A duty of care' when banks close a customer's account for no good reason. Assuming that this is what has been going on? There can be dire consequences for customers. 

It works both ways. I can decide to end my relationship with (for example) Natwest, the same way Natwest can decide to end their relationship with me.

In the Farage case I wouldnt be at all surprised if he has had some dubious payments land in his account which caused it to be frozen, he is as thick as thieves with the Russians.

16 minutes ago, fools said:

the bbc news article on the matter appears to be based on speculation or comment from an unnamed third party, but it is presented as fact.

The bank wouldn't comment, for obvious reasons

I wonder what BBC verify think of this.

feel free to look through the terms and find out what he said is true regarding the £1m or £3m, then at least half of what he said is correct

https://www.coutts.com/private-banking/banking/current-account.html

Just now, melthebell said:

feel free to look through the terms and find out what he said is true regarding the £1m or £3m, then at least half of what he said is correct

https://www.coutts.com/private-banking/banking/current-account.html

missing the point.

the source of all truth is saying this is the reason, the bank hasn't commented, the complainant hadn't been told why as of last week, so either someone is leaking confidential information about someones bank account, or someone is speculating - how do they know his balance.

6 minutes ago, fools said:

missing the point.

the source of all truth is saying this is the reason, the bank hasn't commented, the complainant hadn't been told why as of last week, so either someone is leaking confidential information about someones bank account, or someone is speculating - how do they know his balance.

It sounds more reasonable than what Farage was spouting about being politically persecuted, instead of constantly shooting the messenger do the rest of the job (half a job harry) and find evidence to back up why the messenger is wrong. IF in the link i posted it does show that they demand £1m or £3m then youre halfway to it being right, not sure how you'd know his income. at the end of the day all WE can go on is what others say, its all speculation on our parts.

I'm in the camp of him not having enough funds, or his funds being frozen from being dirty, which to me seems more likely than bing politically targeted.

Edited by melthebell
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, melthebell said:

sigh, catch up slowcoach

There were a number of people mentioned on Talkradio this morning who suffered the same thing.

Most worrying was that Vicar, Rev Richard Fothergill, who claimed Yorkshire Building Society shut his accounts four days after he protested about the transgender ideology being promoted by them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12253081/Vicar-accuses-Yorkshire-Building-Society-bullying-closing-account-trans-protest.html

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

There were a number of people mentioned on Talkradio this morning who suffered the same thing.

Most worrying was that Vicar, Rev Richard Fothergill, who claimed Yorkshire Building Society shut his accounts four days after he protested about the transgender ideology being promoted by them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12253081/Vicar-accuses-Yorkshire-Building-Society-bullying-closing-account-trans-protest.html

and i wonder how many of these "victims" are real? are actors? are paid to say these things? are lying? dont exist?

Is there other reasons that they may have had their accounts closed?

Youre using examples of the right wing media to prove that the right wing media are being persecuted and then blindly rabbiting :rolleyes:

Edited by melthebell