Cobbles / Stone Settes

59 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Is that Dyer's Hill?

I don't know.  I've just googled that name and found this very interesting comparison between what the people in that thread think is pre-1934 to the present-ish day.  You can see both roads/pathways, I think, in each picture.

ETA: Google maps tells me it's Bungay Street meeting Granville Lane.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

I don't know.  I've just googled that name and found this very interesting comparison between what the people in that thread think is pre-1934 to the present-ish day.  You can see both roads/pathways, I think, in each picture.

ETA: Google maps tells me it's Bungay Street meeting Granville Lane.

Thank you. My mum and dad were married at St.Lukes Church and the address was Dyers Hill. There is a picture of St.Lukes on Picture Sheffield. 

13 hours ago, Meltman said:

Thank you. My mum and dad were married at St.Lukes Church and the address was Dyers Hill. There is a picture of St.Lukes on Picture Sheffield. 

I had a look.  It really did dominate the skyline, together with the tall chimney.  There are a few photos of the chimney coming down with Park Hill flats in the background, but the only ones I saw on there of the church are those taken from the Midland Station.

On 30/06/2023 at 12:27, Runningman said:

A post for the sad people amongst us, me included.

Many streets in Sheffield during the Victorian era were paved with Cobbles / Brick settes, call them whatever !

As kids we played with the tar that oozed up between them on hot summer days.

Where in Sheffield are there roads where the cobbles still exist and roads where the tarmac surface has worn away to expose the cobbles beneath ? 

I will start with Farrar Road off Abbeydale Road, there's got to be many more !

''Franklin street'' ,. long gone now,.. but I can relate to your.. 'cobbles and the pitch - tar' in between..  we'd poke it out with lollipop sticks..  ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) 

1 hour ago, oscar2157 said:

''Franklin street'' ,. long gone now,.. but I can relate to your.. 'cobbles and the pitch - tar' in between..  we'd poke it out with lollipop sticks..  ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) 

I went to Sharrow Lane, we did meet at a reunion !

I remember those Franklin Street Cobbles