Students Littering Our Streets

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

And like I said, I highly doubt this is done with malice, they are (wrongly) thinking that the binmen will take it. They havent just woken up and though "ooh, you know what, lets dump a load of crap on the streets today".

It’s not done without malice , it’s done 

without thinking and to save them some money .

• Like 1

Similar comment/thread happening on Sheffield reddit atm.. with other answers/comments/responses... one saying something about it being due to the student waste collection service or something, where they are told to leave rubbish out and SHU will collect it or whatever :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/sheffield/comments/14ojy8l/why_arent_students_fined_for_fly_tipping/

Edited by Ghozer

Apparently, students are given bags for the additional rubbish and told to put it out as extra collections will be made.  So maybe we shouldn’t be too judgmental.

That said, there is too much wastefulness.  When I was a student in the 90’s I didn’t just leave behind bedding, kitchen utensils, food or clothing.  I took it all with me and used it again.  Too many things are considered disposable now and not just by students.

Also, ANYTHING that is unwanted and might be of use to someone else needs to go to charity.  I know there have been some initiatives to organise this but more needs to be done.  The bag rummagers scavenging for items and scattering rubbish about are a disgrace.  If anything of possible value is given to charity and only real rubbish is put out on the street this would stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Apparently, students are given bags for the additional rubbish and told to put it out as extra collections will be made.  So maybe we shouldn’t be too judgmental.

That said, there is too much wastefulness.  When I was a student in the 90’s I didn’t just leave behind bedding, kitchen utensils, food or clothing.  I took it all with me and used it again.  Too many things are considered disposable now and not just by students.

Also, ANYTHING that is unwanted and might be of use to someone else needs to go to charity.  I know there have been some initiatives to organise this but more needs to be done.  The bag rummagers scavenging for items and scattering rubbish about are a disgrace.  If anything of possible value is given to charity and only real rubbish is put out on the street this would stop. 

I had to pay the Council to take away some unwanted items . How much do they charge the students ?

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I had to pay the Council to take away some unwanted items . How much do they charge the students ?

There’s some info here https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/bins-recycling-services/student-end-of-term-waste I think you’re talking arranging with council to take large items like mattresses or furniture?  According to the link students would have to pay the same as everyone else for that.  

Edited by redruby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2023 at 10:11, RollingJ said:

SHU/UoS?

NO  unless  the  Uni is  the property owner

UoS   iirc disposed of it's  housing stock on residential streets  in the 2000s  when they   did the big  redevelopment down Ranmoor  and  started getting  commercial student flats closer to town  - as in the late 1990s  quite a few of  the 'mature '  ( as in older when starting  Uni regardless of what Degree they  were reading )  and Nursing / Medical students   were accomodated in houses on random roads  in Crookes/ Crookesmoor owned by the Uni   as  self catering  / quieter/ no Christmas  or Easter shut  down  - but  equally  no resident staff (unlike halls and soem of the larger flats complexes)  , limited cleaning service  ( kitchen / dining room / bathroom once a week )  and  you had to get your own BT line if you wanted a phone  ...  hence the demographic skew  to  Mature and/or Health Professional  students 

waste disposal in excess of the domestic  waste service  is the responsibility of the landlord 

Edited by NicolaJayne
typos

3 minutes ago, NicolaJayne said:

NO  unless  the  Uni is  the property owner

UoS   iirc disposed of it's  housing stock on residential streets  in the 2000s  when they   did the big  redevelopment down Ranmoor   and  started gettign  commercial student flats closer to town  - as in the late 1990s  quite a few of  a the 'mature '  ( as in older when starting  Uni regardless of what Degree they  were reading )  and Nursing / Medical students   were accomodated in houses on random roads  in Crookes/ Crookesmoor owned by the Uni   as  self catering  / quieter/ no Christmas  or Easter shut  down  - but  equally  no resident staff (unlike halls and soem of the larger flats complexes)  , limited cleaning service  ( kitchen / dining room / bathroom once a week )  and  you had to get your own BT line if you wanted a phone  ...  hence the demographic skew  to  Mature and/or Health Professional  students 

waste disposal in excess of the domestic  waste service  is the responsibility of the landlord 

Nice pointless ramble.

• Like 1