Woke Businesses Which Tell Their Customers How To Think (Or Else. )

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Be careful though, the Daily Mail have a history of lying to annoy their readers and in some way steer the national conversation:

You may remember that before wokeness became the choice label to mock, the Daily Mail frothed about (IIRC) Birmingham City Council's decision to rename Christmas as Winterval. Predictably people went nuts at once again 'political correctness going maaaad'

In fact Birmingham City Council hadn't. It was something that the Daily Mail made up.

All grist to the mill.

did they? Did you take the Elvis on Mars headline seriously too.

"Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998."

Edited by fools

14 minutes ago, fools said:

"Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998."

The mail issued a retraction in  2011:

"Now the Mail has admitted in its newly introduced 'clarifications and corrections' column: "Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998. We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas." News of the Mail’s climbdown has been greeted with widespread jubilation in some quarters."

15 minutes ago, fools said:

Correct.

I said :

"the Daily Mail frothed about (IIRC) Birmingham City Council's decision to rename Christmas as Winterval. Predictably people went nuts at once again 'political correctness going maaaad'

In fact Birmingham City Council hadn't. "

The Daily Mail clarified on 8 November 2011:

"We stated in an article on 26 September that Christmas has been renamed in various places Winterval.

Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998.

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas."

You can read about how the word Winterval became a myth in the media here:

Winterval: the unpalatable making of a modern myth | Kevin Arscott | The Guardian

Though knowing you, because it's in the Guardian, and not on GBeebies, you'd dismiss it as bin juice.

57 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas."

we are happy to make clear (for the thickos at the back)

51 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You can read about how the word Winterval became a myth in the media here:

Winterval: the unpalatable making of a modern myth | Kevin Arscott | The Guardian

Though knowing you, because it's in the Guardian, and not on GBeebies, you'd dismiss it as bin juice.

your own comment piece says it originated in a local newspaper (not the daily mail), and was perpetuated in broadsheets, including 6 times in the Guardian. So the usuall frothing about the daily mail is disingenuous to say the least.

Edited by fools

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I’m not trolling.

I’m trying to establish whether you’ve ever used the display in your shop window to project your own views.

About covid, for example.

Its relevant, don’t you think? So, please answer the question.

A business and advertise and/or project its own views in anyway it wishes. Customers will either be happy about that or not and then make their buying decision

What is not acceptable is for a business to criticise its own customers and/or unilaterally withdraw its services because it disagrees with the customers moral position. Even worse when that moral position is not illegal, in fact it actually more mainstream than the businesses own attitudes.

As for my Covid message ("you are more likely to die from Cancer than Covid, let's get back to normal, NOW") that was true at all times during Covid and definitely true when I put that up in Apr 2021 so why would that be in any way controversial ? It's a plain fact. I do not think it made any difference whatsoever as to how much business we did, but, if anything, since more people agreed with it than not, it would have been more likely to have increased it.

Most significantly I was not telling anyone I did not want their business. The equivalent would be YBS making their woke attitudes plain during LGBTQIA+-x÷ week. I am not a fan of that but if they want to that is up to them, even I am not saying they should be banned from doing so.

On the other hand, the NHS and the Fire Service etc etc are a bit different as they are  publicly funded organisations so should not be using public money to potentially alienate some people, particularly when those people have no option but to use them. 

Edited by Chekhov

Just now, Chekhov said:

A business and advertise and/or project its own views in anyway it wishes. Customers will either be happy about that or not and then make their buying decision

What is not acceptable is for a business to criticise its own customers and/or unilaterally withdraw its services because it disagrees with the customers moral position. Even worse when that moral position is not illegal, in fact it actually more mainstream than the businesses own attitudes.

As for my Covid message ("you are more likely to die from Cancer than Covid, let's get back to normal, NOW") that was true at all times during Covid and definitely true when I put that up in Apr 2021. I do not think it made any difference whatsoever as to how much business we did, but, if anything, since more people agreed with it than not, it would have been more likely to have increased it.

Most significantly I was not telling anyone I did not want their business. The equivalent would be YBS making their woke attitudes plain during LGBTQIA+-x÷ week. I am not a fan of that but if they want to that is up to them, even I am not saying they should be banned from doing so.

On the other hand, the NHS and the Fire Service etc etc are a bit different as they are  publicly funded organisations so should not be using public money to potentially alienate some people, particularly when those people have no option but to use them. 

You either agree with businesses telling people how to think, or you don’t.

It seems that you have been doing the same thing that you are now complaining about.

Well done.