Fiona Phillips And Alzheimer's

Sad to hear that TV presenter Fiona Phillips has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the young age of 62. 

But how I applaud her courage in deciding to go public with it to highlight the illness and the iniquities of a health system which doesn't even recognise it as an illness and thinks it's simply the inevitable consequence of aging. 

It isn't.

It's an illness which can strike as young as 35, and doesn't affect everyone as they grow old, so how they have got away with this fallacy for so long is quite simply disgraceful. But it gives them a get out of jail free card in that they don't have to attempt much in the way of management, much less treatment. It's almost Victorian in some places.

Our care of people with mental health problems is decidedly poor in this country. Compere it with care in the United states where money is thrown at it for those lucky enough to afford it, or better still Scandinavian countries where care is cohesive, innovative, and well- considered. 

Instead of just writing them off, we must strive to do better for patients with this sad disease.  

Sad to hear the news about Fiona Phillips. She is doing clinical trials on a new drug for Alzheimer’s. I hope it proves to be successful for her. 

I use to love to watch her on the breakfast show when I was getting ready to go to work. She has such a lovely personality.  

Fiona’s mother and father both died of Alzheimer’s.  She said at some stage she anticipated she would get disease because it can be hereditary. She was hoping she would be older than 61 before she was diagnosed with it.  

All the very best Fiona with the clinical trials. 

Edited by hauxwell

The awful disease is often diagnosed by wanna be experts in respect of folk with memory loss. I have a terrible memory for matters of importance, whilst those of zero importance come to mind easily no matter of their age. I drive and use power tools (not at the same time), but am quite likely to forget where I parked the car or where I left the hedge cutter, however this does not constitute Alzheimer’s.

54 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The awful disease is often diagnosed by wanna be experts in respect of folk with memory loss. I have a terrible memory for matters of importance, whilst those of zero importance come to mind easily no matter of their age. I drive and use power tools (not at the same time), but am quite likely to forget where I parked the car or where I left the hedge cutter, however this does not constitute Alzheimer’s.

Thankyou for that.

I also have a terrible memory, and always have had.  I lose things on a daily basis, so I have to try to be organised (keyword there is 'try.') But it's the absent minded stuff that gets me every time. I rarely lose my car keys 'cause they have a regular home, but mobile phone is another matter as it's supposed to travel with me to every room.  I put it down doing something else and it's lost. I have to have a land line just so I can phone it up to find it...  

Edited by Anna B

22 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sad to hear that TV presenter Fiona Phillips has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the young age of 62. 

But how I applaud her courage in deciding to go public with it to highlight the illness and the iniquities of a health system which doesn't even recognise it as an illness and thinks it's simply the inevitable consequence of aging. 

It isn't.

It's an illness which can strike as young as 35, and doesn't affect everyone as they grow old, so how they have got away with this fallacy for so long is quite simply disgraceful. But it gives them a get out of jail free card in that they don't have to attempt much in the way of management, much less treatment. It's almost Victorian in some places.

Our care of people with mental health problems is decidedly poor in this country. Compere it with care in the United states where money is thrown at it for those lucky enough to afford it, or better still Scandinavian countries where care is cohesive, innovative, and well- considered. 

Instead of just writing them off, we must strive to do better for patients with this sad disease.  

I don't think the various types of dementia are classed as a mental  illness.