Fiona Phillips And Alzheimer's

7 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How long before she makes it political  ?

Why should she ?

That says more about you than her.

It's a terrible disease and shouldn't be made light of.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Did I make light of it?

I thought so.  It's a  serious subject and nothing to do with politics.

5 hours ago, mart said:

I don't think the various types of dementia are classed as a mental  illness. 

But they are an illness, and unlike other illnesses which are treated, managed and funded by the NHS which is supposedly free at the point of use,  Alzheimer/ dementia sufferers  have to pay for their illness/ care until it takes every penny they've got.

Surely this can't be right? 

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

But they are an illness, and unlike other illnesses which are treated, managed and funded by the NHS which is supposedly free at the point of use,  Alzheimer/ dementia sufferers  have to pay for their illness/ care until it takes every penny they've got.

Not sure they pay for their illness.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

The way I understand the system is that whatever the disability, if care outside of hospital is required it is means tested. 

13 minutes ago, mart said:

The way I understand the system is that whatever the disability, if care outside of hospital is required it is means tested. 

Maybe, but the levels that qualify for help are lower and lower, until all but the almost destitute get no help. Quite often it is family ('sponsors') that end up footing the bill, which is something they have to agree to before the patient will be accepted into a 'care home.'