I.D Refusal At Asda.

I wasn't going to bother posting this but it's bugging me. 

Here's the scenario. 

24 year old man attempts to buy a restricted item (A 4 pack of lager) from asda. He has his passport as proof of age yet he was still refused. They accepted his passport was valid but the Karen on the tills said "He can't have it. I don't belive he's mature enough". 

A bit of extra info. He is a 24 year old man however he has developmental delay so he acts and thinks like someone much younger. 

His care assistant was fuming and will be taking it up with asda herself.  She said he was behaving properly, was polite and respectful and didn't display any inappropriate behaviour at all. She was dead proud of him..

2 questions.....

1. If a passport shows someone to be old enough to buy an item then surely to shop should sell it to them yes?

Unless of course they are drunk/under the influence of drugs etc?

2. When did it become a shop workers Job to decide if someone was mature enough to complete a purchase? 

Am I wrong to be so irritated by this?

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I wasn't going to bother posting this but it's bugging me. 

Here's the scenario. 

24 year old man attempts to buy a restricted item (A 4 pack of lager) from asda. He has his passport as proof of age yet he was still refused. They accepted his passport was valid but the Karen on the tills said "He can't have it. I don't belive he's mature enough". 

A bit of extra info. He is a 24 year old man however he has developmental delay so he acts and thinks like someone much younger. 

His care assistant was fuming and will be taking it up with asda herself.  She said he was behaving properly, was polite and respectful and didn't display any inappropriate behaviour at all. She was dead proud of him..

2 questions.....

1. If a passport shows someone to be old enough to buy an item then surely to shop should sell it to them yes?

Unless of course they are drunk/under the influence of drugs etc?

2. When did it become a shop workers Job to decide if someone was mature enough to complete a purchase? 

Am I wrong to be so irritated by this?

When the law puts personal liability and risk of substantial fines directly upon shop workers with regards restricted goods without conducting proper checks. 

Nobody has an automatic right to compel a business to sell them goods.  If the shop worker considered the person, despite their actual age, did not have sufficient mental capacity or maturity for the goods in question, then they were right to debar the sale.

The very fact that the protagonist in this story has a care worker rings alarm bells straightaway. If said care worker was so concerned why didn't they buy the goods on behalf of the service user themselves.

I feel there is far more to this story than is being said.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

I don't know what rules Asda have but I'd certainly check it out with their head office if only to make sure he wasn't being singled out.

The Daddy starts by stating 'Here's the scenario.'

He's made the whole thing up. 

8 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The Daddy starts by stating 'Here's the scenario.'

He's made the whole thing up. 

No. It happened.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

When the law puts personal liability and risk of substantial fines directly upon shop workers with regards restricted goods without conducting proper checks. 

Nobody has an automatic right to compel a business to sell them goods.  If the shop worker considered the person, despite their actual age, did not have sufficient mental capacity or maturity for the goods in question, then they were right to debar the sale.

The very fact that the protagonist in this story has a care worker rings alarm bells straightaway. If said care worker was so concerned why didn't they buy the goods on behalf of the service user themselves.

My bold

Why would that ring alarm bells? 

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Snipped 

Why? 

16 minutes ago, cressida said:

I don't know what rules Asda have but I'd certainly check it out with their head office if only to make sure he wasn't being singled out.

His care worker is onto that cressida 👍

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Me too