Car Parks That Used To Be Called Streets

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Internet-based hard man. Tragic.

Coming from a regular troll, I'll take that as a compliment because let's face, as an insult it's about as weak as a cup of vending machine tea. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Resident said:

Coming from a regular troll, I'll take that as a compliment because let's face, as an insult it's about as weak as a cup of vending machine tea. 

No trolling here, just observing somebody threatening to assault people from behind a keyboard, with the justification that cycling on a pavement is illegal and dangerous

How many cyclists have you assaulted for cycling on the pavement?

23 hours ago, Findlay said:

Pla.  Why think cost when you should think lives,  priority  shift.  Think of it in parts with priorities. Firstly areas near schools,  then areas near essential services, then areas near shops etc. This is fluid and wont stay in the bottle with pressure top and bottom with goverment interference AND gangs of vandals if nothing is done. I know they are your own personal views which seem to be part of the problem and not the solution.

The problem here is that you don’t understand ( or pretend not to understand) the practicalities.

It’s easy to talk slogans and say “ you should think lives, priority shift”. But, where is the money coming from?

Money is already allocated in South Yorkshire every year to deal with sites where multiple casualties are occurring. That has been going on for many years and has been very successful in treating problem locations.

How many actual lives have been lost here through parking too close to junctions or parking in advisory cycle lanes? Where? Do you know? Councils know this information and use it to treat the problem locations.

The simple truth is that the government provides nearly all the money for highway/transport schemes, so they get delivered in accordance with the funding criteria and priorities set by the government. Putting yellow lines around junctions everywhere is not one of their priorities, so it won’t be happening anytime soon. Local authorities do put in those restrictions at junctions that are within the wider schemes that the government will fund and there are often small amounts of money for general highway work like putting in crossings or yellow lines etc. Those amounts are quite modest.

The government are putting a lot more money into walking and cycling schemes nowadays, but there is nowhere near enough money to do everything.

Don’t forget that places like Holland which are seen as being leaders in sustainable travel have taken decades with a lot of political will and money to get to where they are now. We are some way behind and we aren’t going to catch up quickly or easily.

Engineers and planners like me have to deal with practicalities, which is why we can perhaps appear rather negative to folk like yourself. We understand the issues, problems and  solutions, but we have to operate within the funding and frameworks supplied by politicians.

Everything comes down to money and political will at the end of the day. 

57 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

It was a really simple question, how many pavement cyclists have you assaulted?

As per legal advice I decline to answer, under my ECHR rights regarding self incrimination. 

• Like 1

The fact is that adults cycling on the pavement is entitled, selfish, dangerous and anti social.  I totally understand why people are unhappy about it.  It is minority of cyclists that do this, but it happens too often and it doesn’t present a good image of cycling.  Especially those cyclists that start defending it.

All this talk about clothes lining and threats to cyclists isn’t helping anyone’s cause though.

On 10/07/2023 at 09:52, Planner1 said:

How many actual lives have been lost here through parking too close to junctions or parking in advisory cycle lanes? Where? Do you know? Councils know this information and use it to treat the problem locations.

As far as I can see, its not taken into account as a reporting requirement and it should be. Lets hope this guy makes it.

Where is it stated that cyclist hit a car that was either a) parked in a cycle lane, or b) parked too close to a junction (within 10 metres), please?

Its an motoring incident between car and bike that happens daily in the UK, move along nothing to see here.

Edited by HeHasRisen