Car Parks That Used To Be Called Streets

Just now, kris99 said:

Took my grandaughter in her pram to a shop probably quarter of a mile away and had to push the pram into the road 3 times due to cars parked on the pavement.

Not easy either when going on to the road and up again up high kerbs.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 08:46, HeHasRisen said:

Opposite or within 32 feet (roughly 10 meters) of a junction, except in an authorised parking bay .

Given the list of "demands" I think its clear as day that the OP doesnt drive and has no concept of how much it would cost to bring them all in.

Lets also bring in number 8 then: better enforcement of cyclists using pavements and picking and choosing which road signals apply to them (red lights mainly).....

👍

On 07/07/2023 at 06:37, Findlay said:

1. Bring back low-cost bus fares to encourage public transport use.
  2. Paid permits for all cars parked on Sheffield streets
  3. Double yellow lines on all junctions up to 15m long or three car lengths.
  4. Parked car owners are 50/50 to blame for any accident nearby.
  5. A city-wide education campaign to highlight dangerous parking.
  6. Better LA & Police enforcement of current driving/parking standards. 
  7. Pavement parking ban on bin days or bins can be left on the road instead of the pavement.

1. How is that going to solve a parking problem? Most people aren’t going to dispose of their car just because bus fares are cheaper. Most drivers won’t use public transport even if it is free. There have been studies done on this.

2. I’d say this is not deliverable politically. People object to paying for a permit. Those on low incomes say they can’t afford to pay. The council have recently tried to introduce a permit scheme in the Park Hill area and dropped the proposal due to the overwhelming level of objections. Permit schemes also reduce the amount of parking in the area, as restrictions are put in at junctions. 
3. Have you any concept of how many junctions there are in the city that don’t have yellow lines? The cost would be millions. Realistically, where is that money coming from?

4. Cant see this happening. Would not be seen as reasonable. Would need central government legislation.

5. Possible but would it make much difference? People know it’s not great parking near junctions. They will tell you they do it because there’s no where else they could reasonably park.

6. The council already enforce what they can. If they increase levels of enforcement they get accused of being too draconian and waging war on motorists. Police don’t put much resource into parking issues as they have higher priorities elsewhere and resources are limited.

7. Impractical and probably not enforceable.

On 07/07/2023 at 08:46, HeHasRisen said:

Opposite or within 32 feet (roughly 10 meters) of a junction, except in an authorised parking bay .

Given the list of "demands" I think its clear as day that the OP doesnt drive and has no concept of how much it would cost to bring them all in.

Let’s also bring in number 8 then: better enforcement of cyclists using pavements and picking and choosing which road signals apply to them (red lights mainly).....

Well yes, I think the grown adults that cycle on busy pavements are of the same entitled, selfish mentality as those who leave their cars on the pavement.  I’m not too worried about them going through red lights, if they are daft enough to put themselves at risk doing that.

I think we all know the difference between parking partly of the pavement on a very narrow road and those that just dump their cars fully or mostly on a pavement because they are lazy and entitled and know they will get away with it.  The only way to stop it is to fine that latter group substantially.

Edited by redruby
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well yes, I think the grown adults that cycle on busy pavements are of the same entitled, selfish mentality as those who leave their cars on the pavement.  I’m not too worried about them going through red lights, if they are daft enough to put themselves at risk doing that.

I think we all know the difference between parking partly of the pavement on a very narrow road and those that just dump their cars fully or mostly on a pavement because they are lazy and entitled and know they will get away with it.  The only way to stop it is to fine that latter group substantially.

its the same in bike lanes , even cop cars park in em .

38 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

oh well , il'e ride on the pavement , don't want mowing down by a lard arsse 

Be prepared to get 'clothes lined' and end up on your arse if you cycle on the pavement past me.

The utter entitlement that you think it's OK to break the law because you're inconvenienced in the most pathetically minor way.

It's cyclists like you that kick and scream that other road users need to share the road & follow the rules but then go apoplectic when you're expected to do the same and you wonder why most road users dislike cyclists. 

I've tried to use multi-quote but doesnt seem to work the way I expected.

For. The North Sheffield scheme for crap parking had the Officer who set up the scheme receive his carefully engraved SYP recognition award last week. The scheme will hopefully be rolled out Sheffield-wide soon.

Res.  Research was  carried out by Living Streets

Red. There are insular groups in Sheffield who will not travel by public transport and more work needs to be done to tackle this.

Kri. Forcing vulnerable people into the road because of inconsiderately parked posessions should rightly be made an anti-social behaviour.

Pla.  Why think cost when you should think lives,  priority  shift.  Think of it in parts with priorities. Firstly areas near schools,  then areas near essential services, then areas near shops etc. This is fluid and wont stay in the bottle with pressure top and bottom with goverment interference AND gangs of vandals if nothing is done. I know they are your own personal views which seem to be part of the problem and not the solution.

Edited by Findlay