My Thoughts Entirely

13 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold.       Are you saying that none of the things mentioned in post one you agree with or, is it just the one quote  "I didn't have any handouts, it was all my own hard work" nonsense.

I'm saying:

1) that people who claim it was all their own hard work are usually overlooking the huge help they've received directly or indirectly from society.

2)  I disagree with most of the points mentioned by the OP, although they're mostly so vague and generalised that it's difficult to make specific arguments against them.

Edited by dave_the_m

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Whoever wrote the text of the opening post clearly voted Leave. 

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Useful reply.

who ever wrote the text to the opening post I don't thing he/she is posting on s/f

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

But why are the majority silent? 

Because they can't be arsed into getting into a debate or they are bored of being shouted at by aggressive child like miseries.

It's why Trump won when unexpected.

It's why Brexit won when unexpected.

Once folk are in the ballot box they then do what they really want rather than pretending otherwise for a quiet life.

22 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

But why are the majority silent? 

Maybe like me,  they think that it's just a bit of clickbait.

Maybe like me,   they see bits they agree with and bits they very much disagree with.

Maybe they think that someone who is so tired of so many different things,  should get off his keyboard and have a good sleep.

We all get p'd off but not always with the same things and how can we ever expect to please everybody at the same time ?

How many, when reading that,  can predict, as I can,  which forum posters will agree with the general  message and which will disagree ?

Which means that,  when it's broken down,  it's simply a choice between political left and right, as are most views, on most subjects.

On 08/07/2023 at 08:15, kidley said:
Not often I copy and share but every word of this is the truth!
Worked hard for over 40years…. I need to rant for just a moment. I'm getting old and I’ve worked hard all my life. I have made my reputation, the good and the bad, I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I have worked hard to get where I am in life. I have juggled my job, my family, and made many sacrifices up front to secure a life for my family. It wasn’t always easy and still isn't, but I did it all while maintaining my integrity and my principles. I made mistakes and tried to learn from them. I have friends of every walk of life and if you’re in my circle, it should be understood that I don’t have to remind you of what I’d be willing to do for you.
However....
I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. People who have sacrificed nothing and feel entitled to receive everything.
I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it themselves.
I'm really tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which, no one is allowed to debate.
I'm really tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of all parties talk like their opinions matter to the common man. I’m tired of any of them even pretending they can relate to the life and bank account that I have.
I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.
I’m upset that I’m labeled as a racist because I am proud of my heritage. I never stole any ones land, the government did that..
I’m tired of being told I need to accept the latest fad or politically correct stupidity or befriending a group that’s intent on killing me because I won’t convert to their point of view.
I'm really tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. Especially the ones that want me to fund it. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination, or big-whatever for their problems.
Yes, I'm really tired. But, I'm also glad to be in the twilight of my life. Because mostly, I'm not going to have to see the retched, depressing world these useless idiots are creating. And lastly, because even though I shouted from the rooftops, no one listened or seemed to give a damn. You reap what you sow, and so do your children.
No one is entitled to anything. You have a choice to work, a choice to stay off drugs, a choice to make something of yourself. I have nothing to do with your choice. That's all on you. You are entitled to what you earn.
There is no way these thoughts will be widely publicised, unless each of us sends it on! Surely, the politically correct police censors will try to quiet us.
And I'm fkn tired of a government who have created over 100 new taxes (sugar tax etc) in order to grease their own palms. The lazy ******** in the House of Lords who do fk all but sleep for a fortune. The pricks who believe i should work to fk knows what age, and that my pension is a benefit, even tho i have paid for it all my fkn life 🤬🤬.
“Copy and paste”. I did👍🏻
Thanks!

While this maybe a compiled rant meme, I have written similar about this stuff all my adult life! In several SF forums, over the last 15 years, or so.

Represents my life experience fully.

Young, full of hope and optimism and a willingness to work hard to help make the world a better place, I gave the best years of my life, to the system. Paid literally $millions in taxes to support the less fortunate, and created well paying jobs for my staff, who did the same.

The journey was hard, long hours on the road most of my life, which cost me a marriage.

But the silent partner in my life, who took most of my money was the "government". Bureaucrats who took most of my hard earned earnings, and always had another hand out for more. (It's estimated that out of a dollar earned. 70% or more goes in taxes one way or another, Income taxes, taxes built in to everything you buy, and sales taxes on top of all that!)

They had contempt for a successful business, and their default position was that everybody was as corrupt as they were :) Although I owned my company, my bosses were the government and the clients, and far more demanding than some "Mr Jarvis down the hall"

They milked this cash cow for as long as it was able to give milk, but never appreciated the value of their asset.

My answer was to get myself out of their system, and get their dirty hands out of my wallet!

I've been happy and stress free ever since!

Now it's clear my attitude engenders a lot of opposition, but the fact of life is that there are folks who pull the wagon, and those who ride in it.

When the riders become more numerous, than the pushers or the pullers, the wagon breaks down.

Of course articles such as this will be dismissed out of hand by those who ride the wagon in comfort, and are dependent in one way or another on the government's "free lunch" money. An ever increasing number.

Who won't be around when the bills fall due!

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

While this maybe a compiled rant meme, I have written similar about this stuff all my adult life! In several SF forums, over the last 15 years, or so.

Represents my life experience fully.

Young, full of hope and optimism and a willingness to work hard to help make the world a better place, I gave the best years of my life, to the system. Paid literally $millions in taxes to support the less fortunate, and created well paying jobs for my staff, who did the same.

The journey was hard, long hours on the road most of my life, which cost me a marriage.

But the silent partner in my life, who took most of my money was the "government". Bureaucrats who took most of my hard earned earnings, and always had another hand out for more. (It's estimated that out of a dollar earned. 70% or more goes in taxes one way or another, Income taxes, taxes built in to everything you buy, and sales taxes on top of all that!)

They had contempt for a successful business, and their default position was that everybody was as corrupt as they were :) Although I owned my company, my bosses were the government and the clients, and far more demanding than some "Mr Jarvis down the hall"

They milked this cash cow for as long as it was able to give milk, but never appreciated the value of their asset.

My answer was to get myself out of their system, and get their dirty hands out of my wallet!

I've been happy and stress free ever since!

Now it's clear my attitude engenders a lot of opposition, but the fact of life is that there are folks who pull the wagon, and those who ride in it.

When the riders become more numerous, than the pushers or the pullers, the wagon breaks down.

Of course articles such as this will be dismissed out of hand by those who ride the wagon in comfort, and are dependent in one way or another on the government's "free lunch" money. An ever increasing number.

Who won't be around when the bills fall due!

Well you got out of the system Trastrick, which is great if you can do it, (and I appreciate it takes a certain amount of courage,) but many of us have responsibilities we can't ignore that require us to stay in the system whether we like it or not, (and most of us don't.)

So we can rant and rave about the system, try and change the system, or suck it up.

I think the current discontent is because people have realised they are just hamsters in a wheel, the system can't be changed by the likes of us, and 'freedom' is just an illusion.

But nothing comes easy, and never did, but every gain fought for is being undone, that's the problem. 

Edited by Anna B