What's Not To Like About The Banker's Draft?

mart

8 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Where do you get pie, mash & liquor in Sheffield?

You don’t, we’re nornerners, you get pie, peas and gravy.

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Where do you get pie, mash & liquor in Sheffield?

You don’t,we don’t do it up north.

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Meight and tatty pie, with mushy peas, will suffice for me....

Perfectly possible to do both, depending on the occasion.

I can get pie chips and peas from the chippy and enjoy it, but I wouldn't call it a meal out.

Equally I could make a pie at home.

Edited by Bargepole23
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2023 at 20:27, Bargepole23 said:

Devonshire Arms at Baslow does a pie for 26 quid and it's fabulous, had it several times and it's worth every penny.

16 quid is typical for a pie in a pub....I'm with Irene on paying for quality.

All these pies we are hearing about  from 16 to the 26 quid. What sort of pies are we talking about , and does the waitress bring it to the table in a wheelbarrow? I bet she just looks for the fat lass instead of the table number.

Edited by mart
  • Haha 1

On 25/07/2023 at 21:28, hackey lad said:

16 quid for a pie in a pub 😲  I'd want a "special " service for that . 

Yeah, like Rachel Stevens breaking through the pastry.

Edited by mart

42 minutes ago, mart said:

All these pies we are hearing about  from 16 to the 26 quid. What sort of pies are we talking about , and does the waitress bring it to the table in a wheelbarrow? I bet she just looks for the fat lass instead of the table number.

If the pie of of exceptional quality, butter pastry, high class meat/vegetables, fine vegetables and rich mash, served in a beautifully decorated pub with great music playing, luxury moisturiser in the toilet sinks, great surroundings and exceptionally great, attentive service, I would happily pay £26. I agree with your point regarding portions. Some pubs these days serve mains that wouldn't even pass as a first course. I like piled high plates with minimal porcelin visible. The Peak District is great for bars serving generous portions.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If the pie of of exceptional quality, butter pastry, high class meat/vegetables, fine vegetables and rich mash, served in a beautifully decorated pub with great music playing, luxury moisturiser in the toilet sinks, great surroundings and exceptionally great, attentive service, I would happily pay £26. I agree with your point regarding portions. Some pubs these days serve mains that wouldn't even pass as a first course. I like piled high plates with minimal porcelin visible. The Peak District is great for bars serving generous portions.

Fatty  😀

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mart said:

From the menu description......Specially selected Derbyshire beef shin, ox cheek and oxtail are braised over night with the holy trinity of root vegetables, chestnut mushrooms, beef stock and our own Fawny Pale ale. Encased in beef suet pastry and baked freshly for you, not reheated like your usual pub pie, it comes with baked potato mash, gravy just in case you like extra and charred hipsi cabbage 

It's big enough for a main course. If you judge your meals out by how many kilos of food you get per pound spent, probably not for you.

I really dont understand this outrage about a pie meal in a decent restaurant costing £16, even in places like the Beefeater in Chesterfield you are paying £13.50 for one, is an extra £2.50 really a stretch?

https://www.beefeater.co.uk/en-gb/main-menu/beefeater_main_menu_band3.pdf

Its £14 down the Broadfield

https://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/BF-Food-Menu-June-2023-Calories-PRINT-5.pdf

Place I am going to in a few weeks whilst away charges £16.99 for their "Famous Homemade Traditional Steak Pie".

None of the above are extortion to my mind.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1