19 Billion In Unclaimed Benefits!

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Not my figures, I'm quoting from the BBC. But you can check online if you want. Same figure on there.

If you think poverty has no affect on the wellbeing and health of people, you are very much mistaken. People in the poorer parts of Britain such as the North East have a life expectancy 10 years short of those in more affluent areas which is why I get cross at the 'we're all living longer' brigade who use it as an excuse to push up the retirement age. We're not all living longer, and once again it's the poorest in society who are losing out. 

I'm guessing as with all these type of figures, that some vested interest is spinning the figures, or doing a survey for publicity. The BBC is not a source that is beyond question, they do the clickbait as well as the best of them

if the median family income was 1 million, then a family earning 599,000 pa would be classed as in poverty, that's how silly this poverty game is

my (and I suspect most peoples) definition of poverty is someone who is destitute, which is not the same definition all these grifters band about when having a pop at the tories.

7 million children aren't chewing pencil rubbers, it's a nonsense.

they probably live shorter lives due to smoking/drinking/overeating and the weather is a bit crappier ... which may be why they have less money - ie life choices do matter.

the rise in mortgage rates could be a disaster for some though, they should never have been so low

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

The yawning lack of awareness that some people have about how people unlike themselves live is  quite staggering, and very worrying. 

They need to get out more, and maybe take an occasional trip to the poorer areas of the city / country to see the reality of what's happening.

Serious question regarding foodbanks and their figures.

I am not rich but comfortable due to me working long hours etc. I've always wanted a Porsche 911 but can't afford the payments.

Let's say I go out and purchase one but the monthly payments mean that I can't now afford to buy food so I need the help of foodbanks to eat.

I am assuming I would be chalked down on the statistics as a foodbank user, so my question is....do I need a foodbank because my unwise lifestyle choice now means I have to and would that be ok in your eyes?

Edited by Al Bundy

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

What's the poverty line these days?

They can only afford one week in Benidorm instead of two

If they only have a 60inch TV or an iPhone 12 or less

Or if they can't afford to have a dragon tattoo that covers their entire back 

They can only spend £20 a week on lottery scratch cards 

They can only afford Lambert & Butler instead of Benson & Hedges

They can only afford pizza from the local takeaway instead of Dominos 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12304013/Marcus-Rashford-parks-brand-new-700-000-Rolls-Royce-double-yellow-lines-Cheshire.html

Man of the people Marcus will soon sort it out.

Imagine all those " starving  kids" he could have helped if he had not bought a Rolls-Royce.

I don't agree with you on this one

He's done a lot of charity

But he's worked hard to get to where he is and that's his money so he can spend it how he wants

26 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I don't agree with you on this one

He's done a lot of charity

But he's worked hard to get to where he is and that's his money so he can spend it how he wants

Fair enough

I just know if it was me making a big fuss about starving kids, I wouldn't be parading around in a 700 grand car and taking private jets with diamonds dripping off me. I would feel a bit silly.

👍

Edited by Al Bundy

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Fair enough

I just know if it was me making a big fuss about starving kids, I wouldn't be parading around in a 700 grand car and taking private jets with diamonds dripping off me. I would feel a bit silly.

👍

Should he be driving a clapped out Morris Minor then?  

Bill Gates has donated millions (billions?) to charity, do you think he lives in a caravan?

I remember reading a story in the Sheffield Star several years ago about a woman who was raising her grandchildren, claiming to have to rely on foodbanks to feed them. There was a photo of her looking very sad and holding a loaf of bread but halfway through the story, it said she received full benefits but used them to pay for foreign holidays which I don't think is what benefits are meant for. I don't know how typical she is but I'm sure there are plenty like her.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Should he be driving a clapped out Morris Minor then?  

Bill Gates has donated millions (billions?) to charity, do you think he lives in a caravan?

Of course not.

I don't see Bill on social media with Diamonds dripping off him though and parking on double yellow lines in his 700 grand car.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12304013/Marcus-Rashford-parks-brand-new-700-000-Rolls-Royce-double-yellow-lines-Cheshire.html

Man of the people Marcus will soon sort it out.

Imagine all those " starving  kids" he could have helped if he had not bought a Rolls-Royce.

What have you got against Marcus ?

Does he tell you what you should spend your money on ?

What a miserable individual you are.