19 Billion In Unclaimed Benefits!

58 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Just because AnnaB says its the worst doesn't automatically make it true either.

I note you are conveniently ignoring the fact that someone receiving that £70 carers allowance gets national insurance credits and  may also be eligible to apply for additional monies from the council and/or reduced council tax liability and/or universal credit and/or pension credit and/or support grants and/or  income support and/or employment and support allowance....   Plenty of people claiming careers allowance still have part-time jobs.  Other people may continue to receive lower rate pension and can still claim careers allowance on top.

Easy to pick and choose the dramatic headlines.  Not quite the same when one actually bothers to looks at the full context.  

As far as I'm aware there is very little else a carer can claim.

Certainly not Universal Credit, as you are not available for work.

All the other things you mention are simply guesswork on your behalf. I'm sure someone who is caring for a relative / disabled person will let us know the facts.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time the £70 carers allowance was taken directly from the cared for's benefits. I don't know if that's still the case as the rules change all the time, and rarely for the better.  But ask any fulltime carer, and they will tell you that as well as being one of the hardest jobs there is, it's also a one way street to penury.

It's disgraceful actually.

Just now, Anna B said:

As far as I'm aware there is very little else a carer can claim.

Certainly not Universal Credit, as you are not available for work.

All the other things you mention are simply guesswork on your behalf. I'm sure someone who is caring for a relative / disabled person will let us know the facts.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one time the £70 carers allowance was taken directly from the cared for's benefits. I don't know if that's still the case as the rules change all the time, and rarely for the better.  But ask any fulltime carer, and they will tell you that as well as being one of the hardest jobs there is, it's also a one way street to penury.

It's disgraceful actually.

I think a carer can earn about £120 without it affecting their benefit .

56 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I've travelled the world and I can tell you that people in the UK have it good

It's one of the best countries in the world where anyone can achieve their goals if they are willing to work hard 

We also allow people to be lazy and do nothing and get handed cash

So the answer is no, you don't have any credible evidence.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

I agree, but increasingly many benefits are becoming locally administered, and there are discretionary emergency support schemes, so even if a person has the energy, persistence and know how navigating all these schemes is difficult.

Governments, at times, do recognise the importance of simplifying their systems for the public; so it begs the question why are systems becoming ever more complex?

It can become a minefield,  does your job help you to simplify the complexities or is it a more physical job which you do?

I asked a locum once about benefits and why one was particularly higher than the others,  and she said it's because of what you can't do (as well)

Oh,  Mister M has run off it mst be supper time.

Edited by cressida

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I've travelled the world and I can tell you that people in the UK have it good

It's one of the best countries in the world where anyone can achieve their goals if they are willing to work hard 

We also allow people to be lazy and do nothing and get handed cash

We know, we recently got rid of a Prime Minister called Boris Johnson.

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

It's one of the most generous social security systems in the world

It's weak and open to abuse with many people on benefits all their lives

And that's why so many people want to come here

What’s it like in Florida?

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

It's one of the most generous social security systems in the world

It's weak and open to abuse with many people on benefits all their lives

And that's why so many people want to come here

There's some truth in that because of comparisons to the countries they have come from,  but there has to be a quicker way of processing claimants because letting anyone in is not a vote winner.

11 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

We know, we recently got rid of a Prime Minister called Boris Johnson.

What’s it like in Florida?

You'll have to go there or it will be on your mind and the forum for evermore:smile:

24 minutes ago, cressida said:

It can become a minefield,  does your job help you to simplify the complexities or is it a more physical job which you do?

I asked a locum once about benefits and why one was particularly higher than the others,  and she said it's because of what you can't do (as well)

I'm currently in Italy and they have had enough.

That's why they have elected a genuine right wing government

The rise of conservatism and populism is sweeping across Europe.

People are generous but only an idiot won't admit that there had to be limits and that millions of people are taking advantage of our generosity 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

People are generous but only an idiot won't admit that there had to be limits and that millions of people are taking advantage of our generosity 

Is that what you call the pasta aisle at Asda?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The quote of mine was for Mister M.

Italy is my favourite place to holiday,   love it there😊

6 hours ago, crookesey said:

If the government know that there are £19 Billion of unclaimed benefits they surely know who is not claiming what they are entitled to claim or they wouldn’t know that they are unclaimed.:huh:

Citizen's Advice can help explain the  claim entitlements,  however a lot of people can't access the place.