Fargate Redevelopment

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

The council are making a big song and dance about how they're returning it back to how it was in the 80s

wh-smith-sons-at-fargate-sheffield-1980s

Are they? Not something I've read anywhere, no mention of returningit to how it was in the 80s. Certainly they are doing a lot of planting, but hopefully not in those hideous containers in your picture.

30 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Are they? Not something I've read anywhere, no mention of returningit to how it was in the 80s. Certainly they are doing a lot of planting, but hopefully not in those hideous containers in your picture.

What like the big multi coloured plant pots at top of Fargate ? 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

What like the big multi coloured plant pots at top of Fargate ? 

I don't think they are part of the permanent scheme, more in line with the grey to green planting elsewhere in the city centre, and as currently being implemented at West bar.

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I don't think they are part of the permanent scheme, more in line with the grey to green planting elsewhere in the city centre, and as currently being implemented at West bar.

Oh ok .:rolleyes: . How is the scheme on Fargate coming along?

19 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Not been in Town for a while . How is Fargate looking ? Has it started ? 

Afternoon, Hackey. It's still pretty much the same, just more shops closed. The Tesco is a welcome addition. 

Fargate was actually redeveloped only 26 years ago. Before that, it was divided by a road. If you look at the plaqcuard at the bottom (near Boot's), you will see a list of all of the old businesses from the 90s that inhabited it at the time. 

Sadly, the council have the wrong idea about what to do with the area. 

I went to Barnsley last week, for the first time in around 8 years and I barely recognised it. The council have done a brilliant job at bringing life back in to the town and making it attractive to visitors. A new shopping centre, The Glassworks has opened, with a vast collection of stores that link to a food market. There is also a large terrace on the front for people to enjoy the outdoors. I only encountered one beggar, but you know what they say, you are never more than 9 feet away from a rat!

Barnsley really benefits from having the transport interchange right at the heart of the town. It makes Sheffield Interchange look deserted! Obviously, the railway can't be moved but if it was down to me, I'd sell off most of the current interchange, make a mini interchange for connections to the railway station, get rid of the Arundel Gate "interchange" (useless) and create a larger interchange closer to the shops and bars, the bottom of Fargate for example, using the space of the old Pret A Manger, or on Leopold Street where all of the scaffolding currently is, bang opposite the Peace Gardens, they could even extend one of the tram routes to run in to it, thus getting closer to the Council's beloved Moor Market. These are the areas that need a transport hub.

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Afternoon, Hackey. It's still pretty much the same, just more shops closed. The Tesco is a welcome addition. 

Fargate was actually redeveloped only 26 years ago. Before that, it was divided by a road. If you look at the plaqcuard at the bottom (near Boot's), you will see a list of all of the old businesses from the 90s that inhabited it at the time. 

Sadly, the council have the wrong idea about what to do with the area. 

I went to Barnsley last week, for the first time in around 8 years and I barely recognised it. The council have done a brilliant job at bringing life back in to the town and making it attractive to visitors. A new shopping centre, The Glassworks has opened, with a vast collection of stores that link to a food market. There is also a large terrace on the front for people to enjoy the outdoors. I only encountered one beggar, but you know what they say, you are never more than 9 feet away from a rat!

Barnsley really benefits from having the transport interchange right at the heart of the town. It makes Sheffield Interchange look deserted! Obviously, the railway can't be moved but if it was down to me, I'd sell off most of the current interchange, make a mini interchange for connections to the railway station, get rid of the Arundel Gate "interchange" (useless) and create a larger interchange closer to the shops and bars, the bottom of Fargate for example, using the space of the old Pret A Manger, or on Leopold Street where all of the scaffolding currently is, bang opposite the Peace Gardens, they could even extend one of the tram routes to run in to it, thus getting closer to the Council's beloved Moor Market. These are the areas that need a transport hub.

Fargate was pedestrianised 50 years ago.

And the "vast" collection of stores at the Glassworks numbers 14.

Edited by Bargepole23

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There is no chance of that - the area is far too small, to start with.