Fargate Redevelopment

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

'chabbies'???   

For everyone under retirement age, they would have only ever known Cole Brothers in it's Barker's Pool location. That got renamed over 21 years ago and its been shut for nearly three.  

God sake, I understand people having happy memories, but this city really does like to go wallowing in it's nostalgia and pining for the return of days gone by.

It's a shop, a long defunct location of a shop what some people just happened to use as a meeting place over half a century ago.  The building has been took over and repurposed multiple times in that 60 years and doesn't look anything like It's original design.  It's hardly a location of great historical or national importance. It's hardly a major part of the industrial heritage or uniqueness of the city. It's not blue plaque worthy.

We are now four entire generations on since Cole Brothers moved from its original to Barkers Pool and subsequently closed. Is it really so hard for some people to accept the city evolves, times move on, and prominence, interest and relevance in things evolve with it.

Don't you know that Cole brothers changed the name years ago when they were taken over and became part of the John Lewis partnership? Most people won't know what you are on about, come on, keep up to date and stop living in the past. 

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s a local landmark and not everybody below retirement age wants to consign it to history.

Oh well, if Richard Hawley sings about it, that's completely changed my opinion 🙄.

Bit rich to be making a song when someone was born 4 years after the thing had closed and moved to Barkers Pool anyway.

Perhaps it will have been better for him to be warbling on about the building being split into different units, partly occupied by a building society and a cafe and the gas board at the time - will have been more accurate.

Given the album named "Coles Corner" was brought out in 2005, 3 years after the store itself stopped calling itself that, and the album cover shot didn't even feature the bloody location (being a shot of the SJ theatre in Scarborough) all seems like a bit of desperate nostalgia cash grab to me.

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh well, if Richard Hawley sings about it, that's completely changed my opinion 🙄.

Bit rich to be making a song when someone was born 4 years after the thing had closed and moved to Barkers Pool anyway.

Perhaps it will have been better for him to be warbling on about the building being split into different units, partly occupied by a building society and a cafe and the gas board at the time - will have been more accurate.

Given the album named "Coles Corner" was brought out in 2005, 3 years after the store itself stopped calling itself that, and the album cover shot didn't even feature the bloody location (being a shot of the SJ theatre in Scarborough) all seems like a bit of desperate nostalgia cash grab to me.

It’s about the name, not the shop.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It’s not even on Fargate 

I commenced work at the bottom of Fargate in 1962 and completed work at the top of Fargate in 2010, rest assured that a lot went on between these times away from Fargate. I thought it good to mention what I recall as my best loved place on Fargate, this being the YMCA which catered for both genders in many areas, a true God-send back in those days.

• Like 1