Fargate Redevelopment

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Weren't there a few stall up in the late 90's (but hardly a market), before all the cobbles went down that the likes of M&S, Clinton's, WH Smith complained about, stating the stalls were dragging the image of Fargate down?

I definitely remember these. My mother used to take me to them after nursery. Possibly around 1998. 

23 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

... My mother used to take me to them after nursery. Possibly around 1998. 

Dial it back a bit.  Less is more.

8 hours ago, GoldenAleLad said:

Oh for the days when there were markets outside WH Smith , M &S etc that they were complaining about ... Fargate is so much worse now, the only market now is in drugs 😞

And if you chat with WH Smith staff, (if you can find any, even on a Saturday because their numbers have been reduced to a bare minimum), they'll tell you that the store's days are numbered. 

Add to that, HSBC shutting on Fargate & moving to The Moor, that's another, extremely large building empty. 

If it wasn't for M&S, we'd not venture on to Fargate anymore & there's no retail outlets on High St that we need to buy from either these days or desire to by from.  I've never felt the need for a German kebab, second hand electrical goods or adult indoor golf. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 2

There used to be a vast collection of jewellers, Birthdays card shop, New Look, GAME. All gone sadly. I am surprised Hotel Chocolat is still there but glad it is. The picture someone posted earlier of Fargate in the 1980s looked great with all of the flower beds. The beggars and cold calling canvassers need removing from Fargate. I don't mind Big Issue as atleast they are means vetted and trying to earn their money. 

• Like 1