Fargate Redevelopment

55 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There used to be a vast collection of jewellers, Birthdays card shop, New Look, GAME. All gone sadly. I am surprised Hotel Chocolat is still there but glad it is. The picture someone posted earlier of Fargate in the 1980s looked great with all of the flower beds. The beggars and cold calling canvassers need removing from Fargate. I don't mind Big Issue as atleast they are means vetted and trying to earn their money. 

Hi, Hugh Everett. 'A vast collection of jewellers'? Really, when was this? Also, New Look just moved to The Moor, as did Game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Hi, Hugh Everett. 'A vast collection of jewellers'? Really, when was this? Also, New Look just moved to The Moor, as did Game.

My name is not Hugh Everett. Did you quote the wrong person? 

The Moor is not Fargate. This thread is to discuss Fargate and surrounding streets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

My name is not Hugh Everett. Did you quote the wrong person? 

The Moor is not Fargate. This thread is to discuss Fargate and surrounding streets.

Hugh Everett III was an American physicist who proposed the 'many worlds' theory of quantum physics. Since you inhabit a parallel Sheffield to the rest of us, I thought it was apt.

So, in your Sheffield, when were there a vast array of jewellers on Fargate (you're under 30, remember).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Hugh Everett III was an American physicist who proposed the 'many worlds' theory of quantum physics. Since you inhabit a parallel Sheffield to the rest of us, I thought it was apt.

So, in your Sheffield, when were there a vast array of jewellers on Fargate (you're under 30, remember).

Up until around 2012. There used o be a H Samuel next to M&S, for example.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Up until around 2012. There used o be a H Samuel next to M&S, for example.

Really it was there a lot longer than that. Had to laugh that Delbow’s comment went right over you head

How's the old Gaumont/Odeon building looking now? Most recent images on Google Maps are from May last year.

I went in to W H Smith yesterday. The shelves were looking fairly empty. Low numbers of customers and even lower numbers of people buying stuff. It'd be a shame not to have a shop like that around, selling magazines, hobby crafts, stationary etc. In my opinion, the brand is often forgotten about, even by myself. They don't advertise any more, certainly on television. They don't have anywhere to sit to look at the books like Waterstone's do. They never have events/theme days to entice people in to the store, for example, they could have horror themed days with decorations, exhibitions, face painting and a showcase of all of their books in that genre. They could also appeal to students better, something such as an exam survival pack with a calculator, note pad, pen, wrist rest pad and boutique sweets - would also make a nice gift. The company has no direction any more. The incessant scaffolding and obstructions on Fargate won't have helped either.

Edited by Irene Swaine
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I went in to W H Smith yesterday. The shelves were looking fairly empty. Low numbers of customers and even lower numbers of people buying stuff. It'd be a shame not to have a shop like that around, selling magazines, hobby crafts, stationary etc. In my opinion, the brand is often forgotten about, even by myself. They don't advertise any more, certainly on television. They don't have anywhere to sit to look at the books like Waterstone's do. They never have events/theme days to entice people in to the store, for example, they could have horror themed days with decorations, exhibitions, face painting and a showcase of all of their books in that genre. They could also appeal to students better, something such as an exam survival pack with a calculator, note pad, pen, wrist rest pad and boutique sweets - would also make a nice gift. The company has no direction any more. The incessant scaffolding and obstructions on Fargate won't have helped either.

Don’t forget Pot Noodles in that survival pack  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1