Fargate Redevelopment

35 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

On the subject of bins, I've noticed many street bins have a little hole at the bottom. Is this to trap mice/rats rodents? Have I answered my own question?

I would imagine it's to allow fluids to drain out.. only an educated guess though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Underground bins , how does that work and why is it linked with the flats above shops ?

they look more or less like a normal street bin - but the visible bit leads down into a massive buried container.

once a week (or so) this buried container is lifted out, and emptied.

This is now standard all over the world - there's even one in Hathersage! (so i'm told)

If we want to see the space above the shops used as flats (and we really do) - they need somewhere to put their household waste - we can't fill Fargate with hundreds of wheelie bins.

So... *some* of the new buried bins will be locked - so that only key holders (residents) can access them.

I was on Fargate on Monday morning, they have started to put the paving down, looks quite nice. Also walked past Burger King, didn’t go in though 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2024 at 10:20, Lizzie b said:

I was on Fargate on Monday morning, they have started to put the paving down, looks quite nice. Also walked past Burger King, didn’t go in though 😃

Really?  I went there last week it still looked like a building site and access from High street was limited to narrow paths between plastic barriers with limited access to some shops.  
I hope it’s worthwhile and looks nice in the end but I suspect it will start looking a mess again quickly unless investment is made in security and constant litter picking and street cleaning.  

12 hours ago, pfifes said:

Really?  I went there last week it still looked like a building site and access from High street was limited to narrow paths between plastic barriers with limited access to some shops.  
I hope it’s worthwhile and looks nice in the end but I suspect it will start looking a mess again quickly unless investment is made in security and constant litter picking and street cleaning.  

Yep was down there again yesterday morning, paving is on top of Fargate and near marks and Spencer’s. It’s only a small area, but the paving does look nice, seems to be moving on .

It does still look like a building site, but you can definitely see areas that have the new paving. By no means is the work completed though. 

13 hours ago, pfifes said:

Lizzie literally said, 'they have started to put down paving'. Why would you think that would mean it would no longer be a building site? They're still in the process of doing a lot of the underground utility works on most of the street.