Fargate Redevelopment

Reight photo in the Star facebook page . Title " Watch contractors  take on revamp of Fargate with renewed vigour " . Photo showed ,One in a Digger , one stood watching and one sat down looking at his phone . 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m not in the habit of making excuses for SCC however, the decline in  both Town and City centre  shopping has hit Sheffield and Rotherham badly due to Meadowhall which is similar to having a giant store with multi concessions under cover with great parking and transport links. As and when the council decide to throw the towel in I believe that SCC will recreate itself as a giant student village, thus freeing up a multitude of properties currently used a student accommodation. 

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’m not in the habit of making excuses for SCC however, the decline in  both Town and City centre  shopping has hit Sheffield and Rotherham badly due to Meadowhall which is similar to having a giant store with multi concessions under cover with great parking and transport links. As and when the council decide to throw the towel in I believe that SCC will recreate itself as a giant student village, thus freeing up a multitude of properties currently used a student accommodation. 

@crookesey- me confused -  what do you mean?

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@crookesey- me confused -  what do you mean?

I mean that folk similar to me, who haven’t set foot in SCC for 14 years, will put the final nail in it’s coffin. Why should folk flock into a place with bad parking, no department stores and  the great unwashed polluting everywhere that used to be very classy walkways.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I mean that folk similar to me, who haven’t set foot in SCC for 14 years, will put the final nail in it’s coffin. Why should folk flock into a place with bad parking, no department stores and  the great unwashed polluting everywhere that used to be very classy walkways.

Think I get you now - you mean the city centre, rather than Sheffield City Council - the usual interpretation  of 'SCC'.

I'm no lover of the City Council, as you are probably aware, but from my experience of other city centres, there are worse places.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Think I get you now - you mean the city centre, rather than Sheffield City Council - the usual interpretation  of 'SCC'.

I'm no lover of the City Council, as you are probably aware, but from my experience of other city centres, there are worse places.

Must take more care with my Cities and Councils, 😉

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Why do people keep saying this. 

It doesn't have "bad parking". There's lots of parking all around the city. Around the main shopping area there are three large car parks, two more large car parks either end of Arundel Gate, two more at Victoria Quays/Castlegate, another one just off Bridge Street, another one  just off West Street and various street parking areas in between.  Of course such parking is subject to restrictions and charges which is  no different to any other city in the world. Unlike a mall, a city centre has people attending for different reasons beyond shopping so therefore it has to be controlled.

The city centre still does have department stores. At least three of them, maybe even five-six of them depending on how it's defined.  Yes, of course it had a lot more in the past, but it's obvious there's been a global decline in the popularity of department stores and significant rise in internet shopping. Several of the names we have lost from the street are not specific to Sheffield and more national chains going into administration. Even John Lewis closed a number of stores in the past couple of years when it made a catastrophic loss.  

Maybe if you actually stepped foot in the city centre more than once every 14 years, you might notice some of the positives.  Why not actually come down, have a look around some of the multi-million pound improvements and developments. See some of the new independent stores or more boutique stores that have opened up, see some of the new food courts and leisure facilities. Some of the new public Square and spaces. 

As for the "great unwashed", well unfortunately the problem with public streets is they get cluttered up with the public. Some of them are less desirable than others. A factor that happens in cities all over the world. It is not just private land you can just kick people out of.  Yes, I agree. There are pockets of vagrants and delinquents - but let's not pretend one just can't move two foot without tripping over some beggar or drunkard. That's nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Erm, there is plenty of parking available in Sheffield city centre, the car parks are never full, even at the busiest times.

How many department stores does Meadowhall have?

Very classy walkways? Which ones are/were these?

• Like 1