Fargate Redevelopment

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I’ve asked someone.

They’ve said it is simply because that is the programme of works.

SCC had to acquire the building in the first place, which took some time, and they need to agree points with potential operators before starting main works on the building itself, which also takes time.  

Meanwhile, capital works started on Fargate itself (which was itself delayed somewhat) because it freed itself of any issues and simply could begin (and also had funding restrictions on the timescale, so it had to begin).

Some works have been happening in the Events Central building, for instance some of the electrics hub and other logistical stuff for future outdoor entertainment on Fargate will be run through EC and that work has been done. Anything else non-urgent can be done after Fargate when agreements are drawn up with the selected operator.

So, it is simply down to the way the cookie crumbles.

(Similar process is currently happening to Bethel Chapel on Cambridge Street, which will open following Cambridge Street Collective/Leahs Yard, etc, because of a similar programme of works there).

Thank you . 

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I do have one more question but dare’nt ask it . 

[looks in to crystal ball]

Is it, "Owt happening yet ?  Anymore Bubble Tea shops opening ?"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Wrong . Give your crystal ball a wipe.

[wipes balls]

"Why aren't Oliver Coppard and Ben Miskell constantly on my TV telling me how dreadful everything in Sheffield is?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

[wipes balls]

"Why aren't Oliver Coppard and Ben Miskell constantly on my TV telling me how dreadful everything in Sheffield is?"

Your crystal ball has got a crack in it. 

Well, I can't fix that with a wipe.

Honestly Hackey Lad, ask away. My previous post is just my opinion about your motives behind your posts; I'm certain you're big enough and ugly enough to ignore me and my views.

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Well, I can't fix that with a wipe.

Honestly Hackey Lad, ask away. My previous post is just my opinion about your motives behind your posts; I'm certain you're big enough and ugly enough to ignore me and my views.

Thank you for your endorsement.  
So when the Fargate is all complete with its shiny new paving and fancy flower beds and it’s been officially opened by a grinning councillor , will it be okay to grumble when the scaffolding goes up for months on end ? 

26 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So when the Fargate is all complete with its shiny new paving and fancy flower beds and it’s been officially opened by a grinning councillor , will it be okay to grumble when the scaffolding goes up for months on end ? 

you've left out when utility services dig up the new paving and leave nice patchwork tarmac in situ😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Go for it, but I don't know why you would bother. You know, there's always going to be something happening, city centres by their very nature are almost always changing, seeing new buildings, renovation work etc. It doesn't always have to be some result of incompetence.

In fact, if anything, the new paving on Fargate is likely to make a more attractive prospect to developers again who will no doubt refurbish the ground floor units, adapt the upper floors to residential use, and clean/renovate some of the external facades too. All of that is likely to take the shine off the new paving too, but that's the nature of the game.