Fargate Redevelopment

6 hours ago, Lizzie b said:

We know it will take time, but it’s like winter and long nights, seems to have been going on forever 😃😃

I’m not even sure when it started now, I’m so used to the mess on there 😂.  
It was particularly horrible in town the other day.  A lot of chavvy youths hanging around stinking of weed as well as the usual High St crew.  Where will they all go if this PSPO is brought in?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redruby said:

It was particularly horrible in town the other day.  A lot of chavvy youths hanging around stinking of weed as well as the usual High St crew.  Where will they all go if this PSPO is brought in?

The ‘High Street Crew’ are largely there because of nearby facilities such as the Cathedral Archer Project.

It is similar to Moorfoot/Fitzwilliam Street/bottom of Ecclesall Road where they congregate because of facilities such as the Salvation Army, and West Street/Eldon Street/Division Street because of facilities like the Soup Kitchen and Medical Centre that treats homeless and addicted.

That those people are there is because they are down on their luck, have been less fortunate and need those services — the problem then is what do those services do for them in terms of signposting them on to permanently get out of the hole they’ve found themselves in? They do great work and are treating the symptom but it is down to government and local authorities, etc, to help find a cure. Additional services for them beyond just the sticking plaster that charities and religious groups provide is massively lacking thanks to austerity. Housing, mental health services, rehabs, etc — all at a minimum currently so there’s few places to signpost people sadly.

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

That those people are there is because they are down on their luck, have been less fortunate and need those services 

But from personal experience, many have created they won situation and when offered help and housing they refuse it as that would mean residing away from the city centre and having to travel to beg.

Trust me, some of these people make good money from begging, in excess of £100 on a Saturday night. Problem is that money is then used to feed their addiction. Add their PIP payments that lots of these people get to the equation and they end up with higher incomes than some working people, but again, that money is them misused by them and is already spent with their orders placed before the cash is in their palms.

So when housing has been offered, and declined there's not much more the authorities can do, And you could ask 'why should they do more?' But the rest of S.Yorks has managed to clean up their town centres when compared to Sheffield. I hear Barnsley town centre is a very pleasant place.

From the dealings and encounters I've had with some of them, I have little sympathy and they give the genuine homeless a bad image.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, redruby said:

Spital Hill, probably. Out of the sight and mind of most of the council.

10 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

The ‘High Street Crew’ are largely there because of nearby facilities such as the Cathedral Archer Project.

It is similar to Moorfoot/Fitzwilliam Street/bottom of Ecclesall Road where they congregate because of facilities such as the Salvation Army, and West Street/Eldon Street/Division Street because of facilities like the Soup Kitchen and Medical Centre that treats homeless and addicted.

That those people are there is because they are down on their luck, have been less fortunate and need those services — the problem then is what do those services do for them in terms of signposting them on to permanently get out of the hole they’ve found themselves in? They do great work and are treating the symptom but it is down to government and local authorities, etc, to help find a cure. Additional services for them beyond just the sticking plaster that charities and religious groups provide is massively lacking thanks to austerity. Housing, mental health services, rehabs, etc — all at a minimum currently so there’s few places to signpost people sadly.

:rolleyes: 

Posted (edited)

Do we know why Sheffield Council have finaly decided to consider implementing a PSPO after all these years? Have Sheffield's been complaining about the state of the city centre to the point that they've eventually had to listen?

Edited by WarPig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WarPig said:

Do we know why Sheffield Council have finaly decided to consider implementing a PSPO after all these years? Have Sheffield's been complaining about the state of the city centre to the point that they've eventually had to listen?

I think it’s because of the redevelopment work going on in town now.  They know full well while ever they are congregating around certain areas of town it won’t be a good look when these projects are finished so they are finally doing something about it.  The trouble is that it’s been left to fester so long that it’s too little too late now.

1 minute ago, redruby said:

I think it’s because of the redevelopment work going on in town now.  They know full well while ever they are congregating around certain areas of town it won’t be a good look when these projects are finished so they are finally doing something about it.  The trouble is that it’s been left to fester so long that it’s too little too late now.

Lord knows what the council will do on Castlegate with these people when the new project is finished .