Fargate Redevelopment

4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Honestly can’t say I’ve experienced it for a while, but fair enough if that’s your experience.

Do you have to experience it or just see it?  I ask because some people seem to walk about with their eyes closed . If nothing happens, they see nothing. 

Just now, hackey lad said:

Do you have to experience it or just see it?  I ask because some people seem to walk about with their eyes closed . If nothing happens, they see nothing. 

I walked that way several times over the last few months, going to the quays (which I visit often), or going to and from the office, etc.

Honestly never see or experience any issues there any longer (there was a time it was a bit bad, granted). Exchange Street has become a vibrant little epicentre, especially for skaters and the younger folk. 

On the other side, Castlegate itself is a remarkably pleasant walk with the grey-to-green implementation. It’s nice to spend some time there currently spotting the butterflies and other pollinators taking advantage of the plants.

Sorry if your experience is different, but I find it to not be so bad currently.

11 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I walked that way several times over the last few months, going to the quays (which I visit often), or going to and from the office, etc.

Honestly never see or experience any issues there any longer (there was a time it was a bit bad, granted). Exchange Street has become a vibrant little epicentre, especially for skaters and the younger folk. 

On the other side, Castlegate itself is a remarkably pleasant walk with the grey-to-green implementation. It’s nice to spend some time there currently spotting the butterflies and other pollinators taking advantage of the plants.

Sorry if your experience is different, but I find it to not be so bad currently.

The last time I was there , the skateboarders were swerving round the obstacle of someone laid in path stoned on something. 

There are less zombies walking around Castigate now, probably because there aren't really any shops to attract shoppers for them to prey on. A few yards further up on High St however is a different kettle of fish..

10 minutes ago, WarPig said:

There are less zombies walking around Castigate now, probably because there aren't really any shops to attract shoppers for them to prey on. A few yards further up on High St however is a different kettle of fish..

That’s probably right.  Thinking about this has given me idea.  Convenience supermarkets are a big draw for street people begging.  Maybe a homeless donation point could be set up just inside these shops so people could donate money to a  homeless charity by card rather than  giving ‘spare change’ to beggars.  Maybe shoppers could also donate as they pay for their shopping. Then maybe the homeless charities would have more money to help the homeless properly and less money would go to drug dealers.  And people wouldn’t be accused of being heartless by not giving to beggars. 

Just a question, I don’t need Fargate or any part of SCC, the urban retail parks and large supermarkets do it for me, why do folk have any interest in the future of Fargate.

49 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Just a question, I don’t need Fargate or any part of SCC, the urban retail parks and large supermarkets do it for me, why do folk have any interest in the future of Fargate.

I think there’s a case for reducing the size of the shopping area and turning more of  it to residential.  Which happening to some extent but probably not enough.  We do need some shopping available in the city centre though. Not everyone has car for a start.