Fargate Redevelopment

41 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it went out ages ago, and a contractor was ... contracted. But they got a bit cheeky with the post-contract cost amendments, so the council called their bluff and started the tender process again.

A) at least, that's what i heard on the construction-industry grapevine.

B) this is *exactly* the kind of hard-nosed decision making i want from my council - well done!

I agree. Maybe they've learnt something at last.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ads36 said:

it went out ages ago, and a contractor was ... contracted. But they got a bit cheeky with the post-contract cost amendments, so the council called their bluff and started the tender process again.

A) at least, that's what i heard on the construction-industry grapevine.

B) this is *exactly* the kind of hard-nosed decision making i want from my council - well done!

I heard a similar thing about Bethel Chapel.

It's still a mess, M&S may well be gone by next year.

I do have an idea for Sheffield though, The Steel City Sprints.

A series of 1 on 1 knockout 100 Meters sprints down Arundel Gate. Winner take all prize and a smaller prize for the fastest 100 Meters.

I'd propose 64 entrants from local clubs which would give a series of 6 races. And the publicity it would generate.

46 minutes ago, Uggy said:

It's still a mess, M&S may well be gone by next year.

I do have an idea for Sheffield though, The Steel City Sprints.

A series of 1 on 1 knockout 100 Meters sprints down Arundel Gate. Winner take all prize and a smaller prize for the fastest 100 Meters.

I'd propose 64 entrants from local clubs which would give a series of 6 races. And the publicity it would generate.

Where would they get 100 meters from?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

My apologies, I'll blame it on predictive text.

Metres 

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

A timed competition between meter readers to find out who could get 100 readings in the shortest time?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gormenghast said:

A timed competition between meter readers to find out who could get 100 readings in the shortest time?

Excellent 

Sheffield City centre has turned into a right mess, especially by the new Lidl's/HMV/Bankers Draft area and down towards Victoria Quays. 
 Beggars/dug users sprawled on the street, drug taking/Crack/pipe smoking in full view, Sheffield residents should be embarrassed with that area, if any of them go down there they must see it and see the deterioration of the area. You never see any police walking around even though a 5 minute walk from Snighill police station. Sheffield City centre is an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Go to many other town/city centres, and you will observe similar situations.

This is true, however most have a plan intended to improve the city.