Fargate Redevelopment

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

As does Sheffield.

I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure that Sheffield has the vision to make improvements.

55 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Go to many other town/city centres, and you will observe similar situations.

I have been to many cities all around the country, Sheffield is one of the worst city centres I’ve seen, in other cities there is a far better police/community police presence, far less drug taking/dealing on the main high street and you can walk into a Lidl without the rancid smell of stale urine greeting you. Sheffield city centre has turned into a cesspool of wasters/beggers/alchaholics/drug takers and dealers over the last few years and it’s only getting worse.  Maybe the council should have a look at Leeds to see how to do it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MickeyDuff said:

I have been to many cities all around the country, Sheffield is one of the worst city centres I’ve seen, in other cities there is a far better police/community police presence, far less drug taking/dealing on the main high street and you can walk into a Lidl without the rancid smell of stale urine greeting you. Sheffield city centre has turned into a cesspool of wasters/beggers/alchaholics/drug takers and dealers over the last few years and it’s only getting worse.  Maybe the council should have a look at Leeds to see how to do it. 

I would suggest Hull, Doncaster center only, and Barnsley too

43 minutes ago, MickeyDuff said:

True.  But you just shouted down for telling it like it is.  Actually recognising there is a problem is the first step 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, redruby said:

True.  But you just shouted down for telling it like it is.  Actually recognising there is a problem is the first step 

I agree entirely, but the problem might be the council.

17 hours ago, MickeyDuff said:

You've not walked around the Headrow then.  You certainly not walked around the very bottom of Briggate or around the St John Centre or been driving around Roundhay where some of them are even blatantly walking through the traffic knocking on car windows.

People always banging about this grass is always greener sthick but every city has its issues. Manchester has its Piccadilly Gardens, Birmingham has it's Corporation Street....   the so-called homeless, beggars and general delinquents always congregate with each other. It's a community of it's own with even studies and reports about it. The fact is you can't just keep removing the public from public streets. You don't just lock them all up. What exactly the police supposed to do with them? They lock them up for trivial or even no actual offences, release them and they're back doing the same thing again. Some people refuse help. Some people have got accommodation, got support service but they refuse because they can't or won't work and refuse to engage with the rules and actions offered by support services.  

I've just staying in Paris recently which is currently its most prestigious phase getting ready for Olympics. It's streets were full of  Police and even some of the National Guard  patrolling... but you know I still saw even in some of the most prestige locations. Beggars. Delinquents. Homeless.  They were cluttering up alcoves next to expensive stores. They were sprawled out alongside monuments. They were people panhandling on the metro.  

Now I will admit that there's a congregation around the bottom of High Street, but let's not portray the entire city centre of Sheffield and some 'no-go zone' where you 'can't so much as walk down the street without tripping over piles of beggars and drug users'. That's complete nonsense.

I'm getting so tired of this constant over exaggeration and deluded inaccurate comparisons with other places as if it doesn't happen exactly the same elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Now I will admit that there's a congregation around the bottom of High Street, but let's not portray the entire city centre of Sheffield and some 'no-go zone' where you 'can't so much as walk down the street without tripping over piles of beggars and drug users'. That's complete nonsense.

I'm getting so tired of this constant over exaggeration and deluded inaccurate comparisons with other places as if it doesn't happen exactly the same elsewhere.

No exaggeration, you’ve even admitted it on your post, that area where people are coming into the city centre off the trams has turned into a dumping ground for the beggars, drunks and drug users. Do Sheffield Council still have the Ambassadors walking around? Have never seen any in that area, the only time I’ve seen them is in the Peace Garden area. 
 Please let us know if you know of anything the council is doing to solve the issue? As it’s only getting worse.

3 minutes ago, MickeyDuff said:

No exaggeration, you’ve even admitted it on your post, that area where people are coming into the city centre off the trams has turned into a dumping ground for the beggars, drunks and drug users. Do Sheffield Council still have the Ambassadors walking around? Have never seen any in that area, the only time I’ve seen them is in the Peace Garden area. 
 Please let us know if you know of anything the council is doing to solve the issue? As it’s only getting worse.

Notice you have conveniently ignored the rest of this post, which disproves most of your rant.

And the area is not a 'dumping ground for the beggars, drunks and drug users' - it is merely where you tend to notice a number of them, although they are easy, in the main, to avoid - I do it every time I'm in that area.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Notice you have conveniently ignored the rest of this post, which disproves most of your rant.

And the area is not a 'dumping ground for the beggars, drunks and drug users' - it is merely where you tend to notice a number of them, although they are easy, in the main, to avoid - I do it every time I'm in that area.

I’m not interested in Paris. You notice a number of them as that’s where they hang out,  I see it every day and have to walk past them every day, when I talk to my friends most say they don’t go down to that area anymore especially their wives because of the numbers. Hard to avoid or ignore unless you walk around with your head up your ar$e or you’re blinkered to the spice and crack smoking that’s going on. 
 You don’t see this around the Peace Gardens/Cruicable/Barkers Pool, I wonder why?

That end of the City Centre is in decline, I don’t think the development of the Old Market/Castle area will bring a rapid change to the area, in terms of investment, as  respectable/normal people don’t want to walk down there with their wives or children, it’s that simple.