Fargate Redevelopment

*cough* do not feed *cough* trolls *cough*

On 06/06/2024 at 13:05, AndrewC said:

Ads - with all due respect, please do follow my advice. Stop wasting your own time posting on this thread trying to offer any sense of moderation, understanding, positivity. You know full well that all the usual naysayers here will never be happy, and even once these works are finished, there is no end product - or subsequent developments, retailers, restaurants, cafes, events etc. that become resident - that they will be happy seeing.

On 06/06/2024 at 17:15, AndrewC said:

Criticism of delays or slow progress is fair, but it that can sit alongside general optimism and a willingness to give both this project and the area as a whole a bit of time to get back on it's feet. I'm looking at certain people who will never be happy, and want this to fail - they're the ones that nobody should waste time on.

• Like 2

Well, there was a man selling stuff out of a carrier bag there again.  I think it was cigarettes this time.  He did a runner when he saw the police.

I also overhead some ‘persons of the street’ discussing shoplifting.  One was showing off to his pals about how good it is he is. 
Also overhead two respectable looking gentleman discussing the work on Fargate.  They thought it was taking so long it was damaging business in the area. I wondered if I should chip in and tell them not to be negative but thought better of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, pfifes said:

Well, there was a man selling stuff out of a carrier bag there again.  I think it was cigarettes this time.  He did a runner when he saw the police.

I've seen this lot quite  a few times - the very sharp, sudden opening of the bag and shoving it in your face is about the most conspicuous action someone could do in this scenario!

Also overhead two respectable looking gentleman discussing the work on Fargate.  They thought it was taking so long it was damaging business in the area. I wondered if I should chip in and tell them not to be negative but thought better of it.

People raising genuine concerns in a constructive manner is always welcome 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

No. 37, Fargate. 

Found this little piece this morning about one of Sheffield's narrowest buildings.  

https://sheffielder.net/2024/09/22/the-life-and-times-of-no-37-fargate-one-of-sheffields-narrowest-buildings/

That's an excellent site.  There's a really interesting series of articles on there about the history of Fitzalan Square and its buildings, including the beautiful old (and now lost) Barclays bank building and the Post Office.

• Like 1