Fargate Redevelopment

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Latest info on Fargate with businesses intending to move in, although it does appear that a number are relocatung from elsewhere in the city.  At least it looks as though someone is interested in tbe hole in the ground that was once the building that Next occupied. 

And there's to  be a new pub, The Fargate. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/fargate-national-retailer-set-to-open-on-premium-sheffield-city-centre-street-4821137

I wouldn’t call any of the businesses mentioned big in the retail world or likely to pull the consumer masses into the city centre. “Blue Banana” hardly another John Lewis. “Bubble Tea” anyone actually use them? If these are the big retailers the Fargete developers are relying on to pull in footfall and consumers they’re delusional.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MickeyDuff said:

I wouldn’t call any of the businesses mentioned big in the retail world or likely to pull the consumer masses into the city centre. “Blue Banana” hardly another John Lewis. “Bubble Tea” anyone actually use them? If these are the big retailers the Fargete developers are relying on to pull in footfall and consumers they’re delusional.   

They've been quite specifically saying that they are planning on moving the area away from traditional, high street retail and towards F&B, small-retail, with offices & residences above.

If you have been waiting for them to announce Zara or House of Fraser then more fool you.

8 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

They've been quite specifically saying that they are planning on moving the area away from traditional, high street retail and towards F&B, small-retail, with offices & residences above.

If you have been waiting for them to announce Zara or House of Fraser then more fool you.

More fool all these little quirky shops that think the masses are going to come and make them a fortune, most will probably turn into Vape and Mobile phone repair shops within six month. I wonder if there’s going to be any reduced rate deals from the council to get these small retailers in?

Edited by MickeyDuff

7 hours ago, MickeyDuff said:

More fool all these little quirky shops that think the masses are going to come and make them a fortune, most will probably turn into Vape and Mobile phone repair shops within six month. I wonder if there’s going to be any reduced rate deals from the council to get these small retailers in?

Little quirky shops are much more interesting than the bigger chain stores which are all the same no matter which city you shop in. I agree they are going o find it hard to make a living unless the council give them a break until they get established, but they may well bring in more visitors in from elsewhere than the usual shops, so l wish them well. Don't forget they need our support too.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Little quirky shops are much more interesting than the bigger chain stores which are all the same no matter which city you shop in. I agree they are going o find it hard to make a living unless the council give them a break until they get established, but they may well bring in more visitors in from elsewhere than the usual shops, so l wish them well. Don't forget they need our support too.

If they sell something , I want I will support them .

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Good old Sheffielders...

Want Sheffield to be unique and independent… whilst complaining the city centre isn’t full of 1970s chain department stores.

I don't care either way, if its value for money then it'll get the custom, if not then people go will just go elsewhere. 

• Like 2