Fargate Redevelopment

12 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Good old Sheffielders...

Want Sheffield to be unique and independent… whilst complaining the city centre isn’t full of 1970s chain department stores.

There’s no point in filling the high street with unique quirky shops with reduced rates for six month only to see them closed down in a year when their rates and overheads increase, then turning them Charity shops and mobile repair shops for six month with another new shop after that taking over repeating the cycle. 
 Chapel Walk had a few quirky shops, go look at it now most closed down and the Doc Martens shop now a chad Vape shop, hardly going to pull in consumers is it?

I think if  that 70’s retailer M&S ever pulled out it would be bad, then again it could be turned into a multi plex entertainment centre  with a Witherspoon’s to get the younger generation in🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

A rumour that the council was paying M&S business rates that escalated in a pub to include wages.

The source may have been a council worker

Until I see otherwise I’m not believing it.

There was an agreement with John Lewis (that John Lewis actually reneged on and ended up paying the Council back a chunk of change), but that related to the purchase of the building too and was very public. I’ve not heard of anything similar for M&S. 

There have been some schemes to help fund unit fittings around Fargate through the Future High Streets fund, but that is for new tenants and very strictly regulated for specific purposes. The likes of Blue Banana, etc, will have benefitted from that I suspect.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

There have been some schemes to help fund unit fittings around Fargate through the Future High Streets fund, but that is for new tenants and very strictly regulated for specific purposes. The likes of Blue Banana, etc, will have benefitted from that I suspect.

Let’s be honest, does anyone think Blue Banana is a major retailer and will enhance the shopping experience of people using the area?
 How many are going to pop in to town for a quick B@ll@ck piercing and a Costa coffee.

If the Council and developer’s think shops like this are going to enhance the area they’re on cloud Cuckoo. The shops will need to appeal to the majority not a few to tie the area together and make it an area people will be attracted too.

IMG_6980.thumb.jpeg.61880f7a3144abf9ffcc862a50ef3496.jpeg