Wanting Meadowhall To Pay For City Centre

but the scc cannot even if they wanted do anything about this as they have a long term deal with the funfair company and also with the christmas market,as scc dont own the log cabins ect,ect,so the deal even if closed would still not able to go on in summer or winter as the funfair thats there now holds the rights and no other funfair could enter the city centre and most businesses would want some form of rides for income if they wanted to take it over.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Now if you were so perturbed by the children's funfair taking up your green space, why didn't you go and sit in the Pocket Park and planting

The children's playground...🤔

4 minutes ago, bassett one said:

but the scc cannot even if they wanted do anything about this as they have a long term deal with the funfair company and also with the christmas market,as scc dont own the log cabins ect,ect,so the deal even if closed would still not able to go on in summer or winter as the funfair thats there now holds the rights and no other funfair could enter the city centre and most businesses would want some form of rides for income if they wanted to take it over.

It's poor contracting on the council's behalf. The Christmas markets got some disappointing reviews last year. Has anyone been to the Meadowhall thing?

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am not talking about Pounds Park. I am talking about the seating and planting which is directly outside Grosvenor House. There is no children's playground in it. 

Neither is there one in any of the other locations I listed.  There are range of options in the city centre which you could have chosen. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

well what happened was a few years back they wanted a beach idea and xmas market scc , but had no cash so the funfair operater knowing he could claim the rights paid out for the cabins ect,but in return runs both events,so he took the chance and fair do to the man,but the thing is it cannot be changed ,and i agree its dated by todays standards and way behind other citys in summer and christmas.

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's poor contracting on the council's behalf. The Christmas markets got some disappointing reviews last year. Has anyone been to the Meadowhall thing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i agree its dated by todays standards and way behind other citys in summer and christmas.

That may be true, but let's face it, the public will complain no matter what a local authority does.

When the Manchester christmas markets happened which were a far bigger and more prestigious scale than Sheffield, there was lots of complaints in the local rag about everything being 'tat' or a complete 'rip off'.

Even the huge Winter Wonderland in London's Hyde Park was followed by a load of TripAdvisor reviews and keyboard whiners about its cost, being too crowded, being just a tourist trap, profiteering etc.

However, as we all know how fickle "the public" can be, if the Authorities didn't run these activities the same keyboard whiners would be banging on about how the city never does anything or is always behind its rivals or is just a dead space....

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

That may be true, but let's face it, the public will complain no matter what a local authority does.

When the Manchester christmas markets happened which were a far bigger and more prestigious scale than Sheffield, there was lots of complaints in the local rag about everything being 'tat' or a complete 'rip off'.

Even the huge Winter Wonderland in London's Hyde Park was followed by a load of TripAdvisor reviews and keyboard whiners about its cost, being too crowded, being just a tourist trap, profiteering etc.

However, as we all know how fickle "the public" can be, if the Authorities didn't run these activities the same keyboard whiners would be banging on about how the city never does anything or is always behind its rivals or is just a dead space....

Some councils get it right. What Barnsley have done with the Glassworks complex is brilliant. 

York always manages to pull off amazing markets.

12 minutes ago, bassett one said:

skipton do a good market so i am told

Always found it a bit rough round there, Skipton/Todmorden way.  We were in a pub out there and even my father said let's move tables as the family next to us are a bit rough and he's from Parson Cross!