Illegal Number Plates To Receive Penalty Points

20 hours ago, Resident said:

Most of the time altered plates are "private" plates anyway so I'd make part of the penalty the loss of the plate, costs of re-registering with the original & a 5 year ban on owning a private registration

There are various different types of plate spacing, just because your spacing hasn't been officially approved is no big deal.

It is a big deal if the ANPR cameras cannot read your plate.

8 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

It seems you can do pretty much what you like on the roads network without getting caught these days, apart from speeding or going through a red light when there are cameras about.  There seems to be very little proactive roads policing.

Smoking weed in a line of traffic, noisy toytown exhaust tailpipes, blinding lights, toytown number plates and drug couriering for starters!

Quite so.  I only ever see a copper when they go to the sandwich shop or the coffee shop.  Never seen one walking for over 10 years.

19 hours ago, Padders said:

Spotted one last week in Town..

UPI7  MRB.

I am not really that bothered about plates with altered spacing because, if anything, it makes them more memorable which is surely a good thing if the vehicle is involved in an incident. The real problem is with plates which are hard to read, either because they have weird script or, even worse, are darkened.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

There are various different types of plate spacing, just because your spacing hasn't been officially approved is no big deal.

Except that plate regs predate ANPR so that's no the entire reason is it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Quite so.  I only ever see a copper when they go to the sandwich shop or the coffee shop.  Never seen one walking for over 10 years.

We are told that they can attend to more incidents in a car.  I didn't hear much more about the 20k extra officers.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Yes, defined in the regulations, and if your 'spacing' doesn't comply with the regs, it is illegal.

53 minutes ago, mart said:

We are told that they can attend to more incidents in a car.  I didn't hear much more about the 20k extra officers.

A lot of incidents, they don't attend anyway.  just give you a crime number instead.

On 15/07/2023 at 00:57, Tipstaff said:

It seems you can do pretty much what you like on the roads network without getting caught these days, apart from speeding or going through a red light when there are cameras about.  There seems to be very little proactive roads policing.

Smoking weed in a line of traffic, noisy toytown exhaust tailpipes, blinding lights, toytown number plates and drug couriering for starters!

If you want to commit a crime, do it in a car and you'll get a more lenient sentence. A guy yesterday got 12 years for killing a woman and her unborn child while weaving all over the motorway at about 120mph while filming himself with his phone.