Would Sheffield Survive Without Motoring Offences?

13 hours ago, Ashcroft said:

If every driver in Sheffield stuck to the law, What would replace the money in fines? Or even motoring  in general as there seems to be a lot of income from the motorist.

To put things in perspective, the Council spends about £1.5 billion a year.

Surplus income from parking ( pay and display, fines, permits) and bus lanes used add up to circa £4 million. 

Parking income may be a bit less now as some city centre parking has disappeared with new developments and road changes.

The clean air zone and moving traffic offences will provide some additional income, but overall, in terms of the council’s budget, it’s a drop in the ocean.

14 hours ago, Ashcroft said:

If every driver in Sheffield stuck to the law, What would replace the money in fines? Or even motoring  in general as there seems to be a lot of income from the motorist.

You could replace "Sheffield" with almost any other named city or town because all these councils see motorists as cash cows.

1 minute ago, iansheff said:

You could replace "Sheffield" with almost any other named city or town because all these councils see motorists as cash cows.

No issue there, in the main it's a tax on stupidity. If you can't read big signs or stick to parking areas for the agreed time you deserve to be fleeced. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Read this and you might understand why traffic enforcement is a necessity if you want to keep the roads working properly.

• Like 1

Why not charge households with pets increased council tax?

Family pets create mess, litter trays etc...which ends up in the bin which then needs to be taken away on bin day which creates more waste.

Not forgetting pets which wander all over my garden pooping all over my daffodils, I bet the pet emits gas as it poops, gas which goes into the atmosphere

Edited by rogets
  • Like 2

Just now, HumbleNarrator said:

Aaah yes, being in endless higher education is a great way to avoid real life. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself! 

An answer to my question would be nice? Or was it just an anti-student soundbite that you hadn't really thought through? 

37 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Maybe it's time to start charging Students council tax 

Fine, as long as its matched with a reduction at their parents residence.

8 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Aaah yes, being in endless higher education is a great way to avoid real life. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself! 

Not endless though is it. For the vast majority, they are at uni for 3 years and then working.

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Fine, as long as its matched with a reduction at their parents residence.

That's 60,000 people in Sheffield that's not paying council tax 

On top of all the benefits scroungers 

Car owners have to make up for all those shortfalls

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1