Is Sexism In The Workplace Still Rife?

Sexism  - do people still regard it as one of the most hated behaviours to protest about.  Has it lessened due to the amount of media attention it garnered,  or do we hear less of it because of other protests?

Have sexual jokes and innuendo replaced it as a means to embarrass others?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cressida said:

Sexism  - do people still regard it as one of the most hated behaviours to protest about.  Has it lessened due to the amount of media attention it garnered,  or do we hear less of it because of other protests?

I don't think much has changed.

The odd female manages to prove her point  but, in general, sexism is still rife and little altered from before.

I can quite understand some of the anger expressed by some women who do speak out.

I don't think we will ever get rid of sexual jokes as some are not meant to be derogatory at all,  but just to express the difference between the sexes with comedy.

I'm old fashioned enough to enjoy comedy as it was before we became PC and believe it was just about humour and that there was no nastiness involved.

I would support any lady in the fight for full equality. 

2 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

its workplace banter unless its nasty, some women give it out worse than men.

That's true.  I've worked alongside women and I've employed women and most of them like a laugh just the same as the blokes and can well give it back.

You just have to get to know the person before saying anything which may be misconstrued  (and, bear in mind, their ages ).

11 minutes ago, cressida said:

I have heard that if there are a lot of women working together and a very small minority of males then they really can be embarrassing, especially to the lone apprentice for example.

That's true enough.  they frightened the life out of me when I was 17 and working in a cutlers shop.

Kept telling me they were going to follow me when i went down to the cellar to fetch a bucket of coke for the fire.

I was told lurid tales of what had happened to previous youths in that cellar.

They all mothered me though so it was a pleasure to work with them apart from when they put the frighteners on.

I made some good friends and went out with a couple of them and their hubbies.

Edited by Organgrinder

12 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I used to work with a bloke who used to work at British Tissues. Some of the stories he told about the horrible bags there would make your toe's curl.

It must embolden them, awful,  must be honest I sort of went red but almost put a Haha  on.    Gosh,  didn't know that would be so large,  only copied the little one.

Edited by cressida

10 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I used to work with a bloke who used to work at British Tissues. Some of the stories he told about the horrible bags there would make your toe's curl.

As someone who briefly worked in an office full of women, I can concur that women are far more toxic to each other. A lot of the time, however it's done via "behind their back" gossiping. 

48 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

This is very true, I recall the firm that I worked for as a circa 20 year old ‘blooding’ me. They sent me to a garment factory in Barnsley, where I had to walk through the shop floor in order to get to the office, the ‘ladies’ were very welcoming. :help:

2 hours ago, ab6262 said:

I suppose it depends on the people....

Not sure who described 'bitchiness' as a female trait, though I've got to say, in my experience men are worse than women.

Though of course both sexes are capable of it, some men and women are nice, some men and women are vile.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

Perhaps sexism has lessened as society progresses, but I would hope that with more reporting people on the receiving end feel more empowered to address it. Though I always thought that sexual jokes or innuendo could be construed as sexism - I suppose it depends on how jokes are phrased perhaps?