Lucy Spraggan.

cressida

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66190895

Why she left X Factor.

Former X Factor contestant Lucy Spraggan has told BBC News that taking part in the show in 2012 felt like being in "an abusive relationship".

She has revealed the reason she left the ITV show abruptly after week three was because she had been raped, and was not ill, as reported at the time.

The singer-songwriter says the industry needs to change to better protect people taking part in reality TV shows.

Both ITV and Fremantle say they are evolving their duty of care processes.

X Factor was made for ITV by Talkback Thames - part of production company Fremantle - and Simon Cowell's company Syco.

Simon Cowell has described what happened to Spraggan as "horrific and heartbreaking".

Spraggan has waived her legal right to anonymity, granted to victims of sexual offences, to speak to the BBC in her first broadcast interview.

In 2012, X Factor was one of the UK's most-watched TV shows and Spraggan became an overnight sensation when millions watched her audition.

"From that moment on, my life changed forever," she tells the BBC.

"From the beginning, they kind of make you into a caricature of yourself. It's almost like there's a storyline written for you," she adds.

Edited by cressida

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

Big problem with room keys being available for too many hotel staff,   I'm not sure I'd feel safe in a hotel room on my own these days,  possibly other women are also cautious.

Any decent hotel will have a chain and/or a deadlock inside the door.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

The very expensive ones probably,   would have to ask before making a reservation,  for the girls/women who can't afford then drag the chest of drawers in front of the door.

Just now, cressida said:

The very expensive ones probably,   would have to ask before making a reservation,  for the girls/women who can't afford then drag the chest of drawers in front of the door.

Every Premier Inn I have ever stayed in has one of those or both, they arent particularly high end hotels.

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

That's a good point.

I can't say I've ever seen either (not really looked though) but for some occupants peace of mind, not a bad rule.

When they give you the key card, I have wondered how many others have the 'master' cards.

• Like 1