John Lewis Boss Calls For Abusing Shop Workers To Be An Offence

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do you think businesses with staff want to put their staff in constant conflict with morons who are happy to go into their shops and make threats etc? 

As you are your own boss you can make any decision you like about what you wish to subject yourself to. 

Customer services is a difficult business. There is a theatrical element to it. A decent employer should be weeding out the weak links at the recruitment process. A true professional remains un-deterred by any rudeness and continues to provide excellent service. There is no time to worry about hurty feelings in customer service, one of the golden rules is, don't take it personally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Then they would lose a significant portion of their client base...

No,  because a significant portion of their client base will not be nasty.

Fortunately,  customers who think like you are in the minority,  and I'm sure that most business owners would be quite happy to lose such a minority of nasty customers.

Any business owner with common sense,  and a sense of care for their staff,  would tell you to take your business elsewhere.

I would guess you've been barred from quite a few pubs.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

No,  because a significant portion of their client base will not be nasty.

It depends on whether you catch them on a good day or not. The "nasty" portion of customers could make the difference between breaking even and making a profit. Every customer counts.

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I would guess you've been barred from quite a few pubs.

You would guess wrong. I have barred myself from pubs where the serving staff are rude and I have told the landlord why I won't be returning to his pub. 

When I worked on the railway, if we refused to serve any customer who was rude, abrupt, grumpy, we'd be omitting most of our passengers. 🤣 Instead, we used common sense and served them regardless, with excellent service. 

45 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Customer services is a difficult business. There is a theatrical element to it. A decent employer should be weeding out the weak links at the recruitment process. A true professional remains un-deterred by any rudeness and continues to provide excellent service. There is no time to worry about hurty feelings in customer service, one of the golden rules is, don't take it personally.

I wonder what you think  gives you the right to decide how other people run their business and how to deal with their staff.

Any true professional worth their salt would not want you  ruining the pleasant atmosphere and upsetting their staff.

People who've worked hard to set up and run a business  will be the ones who decide about "hurty feelings",  and whether they want someone as unpleasant as you in their premises.

It's their business so all the decisions will be down to them and your views will not count at all.    Go in there with a proper polite attitude and I'm sure you will be made welcome.

Edited by Organgrinder

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Every customer counts.

You would guess wrong. I have barred myself from pubs where the serving staff are rude and I have told the landlord why I won't be returning to his pub. 

When I worked on the railway, if we refused to serve any customer who was rude, abrupt, grumpy, we'd be omitting most of our passengers. 🤣 Instead, we used common sense and served them regardless, with excellent service. 

They wouldn't if it were my business   -   the pleasant ones would count.

You seem to meet an extraordinary number of rude people    -    I wonder why ?

The railways are so badly run and very often,  so frustrating for their customers,  that I don't regard that as a good yardstick to judge by.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I wonder what you think,  gives you the right to decide how other people run their business and how to deal with their staff.

Any true professional worth their salt would not want you  ruining the pleasant atmosphere and upsetting their staff.

People who've worked hard to set up and run a business  will be the ones who decide about "hurty feelings",  and whether they want someone as unpleasant as you in their premises.

It's their business so all the decisions will be down to them and your views will not count at all.    Go in there with a proper polite attitude and I'm sure you will be made welcome.

🤣🤣🤣  I have a business diploma and been a mentor for new employees. I've also been given internal recognition from my employers about my work, as well as running numerous charity events (which are run as a business) that have been huge successes.

The business is run for the customer, not the staff. The customer comes first and foremost. If staff are upset by a rude customer, then the delicate little wallflower is in the wrong career. The best reviews on trip advisor all mention great service. That's the pinnacle of the customer experience and what ensures repeat custom and word-of-mouth advertising. The customer does not need the business, but the business needs the customer.

If I, as a customer, have a server who cannot be bothered to say please or thank you and treats my custom as such an inconvenience to them, then they will get the same attitude back from me and their employer will lose out on any future custom from me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

🤣🤣🤣  I have a business diploma and been a mentor for new employees. I've also been given internal recognition from my employers about my work, as well as running numerous charity events (which are run as a business) that have been huge successes.

The business is run for the customer, not the staff. The customer comes first and foremost. If staff are upset by a rude customer, then the delicate little wallflower is in the wrong career. The best reviews on trip advisor all mention great service. That's the pinnacle of the customer experience and what ensures repeat custom and word-of-mouth advertising. The customer does not need the business, but the business needs the customer.

If I, as a customer, have a server who cannot be bothered to say please or thank you and treats my custom as such an inconvenience to them, then they will get the same attitude back from me and their employer will lose out on any future custom from me.

Crikey.

They were thorough. I hope their hands were clean.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

They wouldn't if it were my business   -   the pleasant ones would count.

Let's say you run a hardware shop, you've got to take a certain amount of money each day to pay the bills, it's an independent business with no support from shareholders are parent companies, are you really going to turn away customers who are rude when they could be the difference between your business succeeding or failing? 

You seem to know very little about business and be very naive about the world of customer service.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Let's say you run a hardware shop, you've got to take a certain amount of money each day to pay the bills, it's an independent business with no support from shareholders are parent companies, are you really going to turn away customers who are rude when they could be the difference between your business succeeding or failing? 

You seem to know very little about business and be very naive about the world of customer service.

You talk a lot of sense Irene :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1