John Lewis Boss Calls For Abusing Shop Workers To Be An Offence

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The business is run for the customer, not the staff. The customer comes first and foremost. If staff are upset by a rude customer, then the delicate little wallflower is in the wrong career. The best reviews on trip advisor all mention great service. That's the pinnacle of the customer experience and what ensures repeat custom and word-of-mouth advertising. The customer does not need the business, but the business needs the customer.

If I, as a customer, have a server who cannot be bothered to say please or thank you and treats my custom as such an inconvenience to them, then they will get the same attitude back from me and their employer will lose out on any future custom from me.

I deleted the self promotion line as I never believe them.  Anyone can write those.

A  business is run for the ordinary well behaved customer and that doesn't give you the right to be rude and unpleasant.

You would not be welcome in any business that I ran and I would be quite happy for you and your attitude to go elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Let's say you run a hardware shop, you've got to take a certain amount of money each day to pay the bills, it's an independent business with no support from shareholders are parent companies, are you really going to turn away customers who are rude when they could be the difference between your business succeeding or failing? 

You seem to know very little about business and be very naive about the world of customer service.

YES   I could manage perfectly well without you and your tantrums.

I have run a business which was perfectly harmonious and been on good terms with my staff.

Naive,  I may be,   but I'm still the boss.

Edited by Organgrinder

13 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do you think businesses with staff want to put their staff in constant conflict with morons who are happy to go into their shops and make threats etc? 

As you are your own boss you can make any decision you like about what you wish to subject yourself to. 

>>make threats<<

Where have I said anyone should have to put up with threats ?

>>morons<<

I do not consider customers getting a bit upset with probable bad service to be "morons".

In fact I think those customers deserve empathy, certainly from any employee whose job is to deal with the public. Anyone who disagrees with that should not be in any job where they deal with the public. Work from  home and be a computer programmer......

>>As you are your own boss you can make any decision you like about what you wish to subject yourself to.<<

I wasn't the boss back in 1985......

13 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Customer services is a difficult business. There is a theatrical element to it. A decent employer should be weeding out the weak links at the recruitment process. A true professional remains un-deterred by any rudeness and continues to provide excellent service. There is no time to worry about hurty feelings in customer service, one of the golden rules is, don't take it personally.

Excellent post.

Anyone disagreeing should not be working with the public.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

>>make threats<<

Where have I said anyone should have to put up with threats ?

>>morons<<

I do not consider customers getting a bit upset with probable bad service to be "morons".

In fact I think those customers deserve empathy, certainly from any employee whose job is to deal with the public. Anyone who disagrees with that should not be in any job where they deal with the public. Work from  home and be a computer programmer......

>>As you are your own boss you can make any decision you like about what you wish to subject yourself to.<<

I wasn't the boss back in 1985......

Well said. It seems some people on this forum can't tell the difference between rude behaviour and threatening behaviour. 

• Like 1

I’ve heard that abuse from shop customers has got worse in recent years and particularly post pandemic.  I don’t think being abusive is acceptable.  Anyone defending this should remember that most often, targeting the poor customer facing person won’t get the best outcome.  Put complaints in writing, in a clear, calm, polite , concise, factual way to the manager for best results. 

3 minutes ago, redruby said:

I’ve heard that abuse from shop customers has got worse in recent years and particularly post pandemic.  I don’t think being abusive is acceptable.  Anyone defending this should remember that most often, targeting the poor customer facing person won’t get the best outcome.  Put complaints in writing, in a clear, calm, polite , concise, factual way to the manager for best results. 

In recent days I've seen 2 altercations at the same Aldi. Staff wanting to search customers bags, customers objecting, voices raised, threats made. It's all quite unpleasant.