Hillsbrough Park Over Used?

15 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Some selective snipping in this reply so I’ll repost

‘Large events do sometimes have to be moved if they outgrow their current one.  Years ago the Leeds Festival was at Temple Newsam park in Leeds.  It was moved to the larger Bramham Park which isn’t in Leeds and is almost as close to York.  It’s been there a long time though and it works.  Buses are laid on to take people to and the festival and it’s got good transport links being close to the A1(M).  I think some people though are extremely reluctant to think outside the box when it come to venues for Tramlines.’

Yes but his post was clearly a mickey take of another forum user.

I dont think the festival has outgrown the venue. Most of this thread is just one massive overreaction due to biblically bad weather, in one year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pfifes said:

Moving it to Graves Park would just be shifting the same problem elsewhere.  And much of Graves Park isn’t flat like Hillsborough which I assume would be a problem logistically for a festival set up?

I’ve only driven past the Bowshaw car boot area so don’t know it well but have noticed it has been used for a funfair and circus I think before.  Somewhere like that on the edge of town might be a plan.  

Large events do sometimes have to be moved if they outgrow their current one.  Years ago the Leeds Festival was at Temple Newsam park in Leeds.  It was moved to the larger Bramham Park which isn’t in Leeds and is almost as close to York.  It’s been there a long time though and it works.  Buses are laid on to take people to and the festival and it’s got good transport links being close to the A1(M).  I think some people though are extremely reluctant to think outside the box when it come to venues for Tramlines.

Do 30,000 people go to a funfair all at once? I doubt it. Is the land privately owned? Well served by public transport? Surrounded by the infrastructure that large vehicles need for bringing stages, toilets, barriers, food stalls? 

What is the evidence that Tramlines has outgrown Hillsborough Park? I've been every year since it moved there, and the site is spacious and doesn't feel overcrowded by the festival 'infrastructure' (stages, toilets, food areas, bars etc). 

• Like 1

so if thats it put down the matting and that would help,the funfair area and then some all weather turf so it can be used all year round ,i cannot recall the clubs name but the other week a non-league football sides manager stated that was a great idea and they have over 1,000 players playing on it every week of the year ,so why not do that?

9 minutes ago, bassett one said:

so if thats it put down the matting and that would help,the funfair area and then some all weather turf so it can be used all year round ,i cannot recall the clubs name but the other week a non-league football sides manager stated that was a great idea and they have over 1,000 players playing on it every week of the year ,so why not do that?

Are you seriously comparing 22 men and 3 officials on a football pitch 25-30 times a year, spread out over a year, to having 30k people on a football field for 12 hours a day for three consecutive days?

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, S35_2o21 said:

Do 30,000 people go to a funfair all at once? I doubt it. Is the land privately owned? Well served by public transport? Surrounded by the infrastructure that large vehicles need for bringing stages, toilets, barriers, food stalls? 

What is the evidence that Tramlines has outgrown Hillsborough Park? I've been every year since it moved there, and the site is spacious and doesn't feel overcrowded by the festival 'infrastructure' (stages, toilets, food areas, bars etc). 

Hey I said myself I didn’t know that specific spot well myself.  My point was more that somewhere further out town may be more appropriate in future and that festivals do sometimes move location without any detriment.  Leeds is a good example of that.  
And I will reiterate a previous post I made that saying  those saying ‘people can just use another park’ doesn’t wash with me.  They don’t like people saying‘Tramlines could just be held at another venue’, because they prefer Hillsborough for various reasons.  It feels very entitled to me.   Most of the people attending Tramlines are adults, usually relatively young and with money to pay for entry fee and associated costs.  It feels that the young children, elderly, less mobile and less well off who get much benefit from their local park and might not find it easy to travel to ‘just go to another park’ are considered less important than a corporate festival.’

And the other point frequently trotted out that there was ‘biblical’ rain in the summer doesn’t convince me either.  I don’t think I need to point out that  UK summers have unpredictable weather.  Aren’t big festivals like Glastonbury and Download famous for their mud?  Both of those are held summer too.  If Tramlines is staying in Hillsborough park the organisers, as a bare minimum need to do more to protect the park from damage that takes to many weeks to recover.

6 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Hey I said myself I didn’t know that specific spot well myself.  My point was more that somewhere further out town may be more appropriate in future and that festivals do sometimes move location without any detriment.  Leeds is a good example of that.  
And I will reiterate a previous post I made that saying  those saying ‘people can just use another park’ doesn’t wash with me.  They don’t like people saying‘Tramlines could just be held at another venue’, because they prefer Hillsborough for various reasons.  It feels very entitled to me.   Most of the people attending Tramlines are adults, usually relatively young and with money to pay for entry fee and associated costs.  It feels that the young children, elderly, less mobile and less well off who get much benefit from their local park and might not find it easy to travel to ‘just go to another park’ are considered less important than a corporate festival.’

And the other point frequently trotted out that there was ‘biblical’ rain in the summer doesn’t convince me either.  I don’t think I need to point out that  UK summers have unpredictable weather.  Aren’t big festivals like Glastonbury and Download famous for their mud?  Both of those are held summer too.  If Tramlines is staying in Hillsborough park the organisers, as a bare minimum need to do more to protect the park from damage that takes to many weeks to recover.

Didnt they have the sum total of three months of rain in one weekend, or something ridiculous. You cant argue it wasnt a deluge.

This entire thread is a massive overreaction to an extreme event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Didnt they have the sum total of three months of rain in one weekend, or something ridiculous. You cant argue it wasnt a deluge.

This entire thread is a massive overreaction to an extreme event.

Yep there was a lot of rain.  But even with a more normal amount of heavy rain it would have been super muddy.  And as we know from many other summer festivals it’s not unusual to have wet weather and to end up with a mud bath.  It really shouldn’t be a big surprise and as I said, the organisers should be more proactive protecting the park.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Yep there was a lot of rain.  But even with a more normal amount of heavy rain it would have been super muddy.  And as we know from many other summer festivals it’s not unusual to have wet weather and to end up with a mud bath.  It really shouldn’t be a big surprise and as I said, the organisers should be more proactive protecting the park.

Common sense :thumbsup:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pfifes said:

What do the organisers of the Leeds Festival put down at Bramham Park in Wetherby then to stop it being ruined? I am deferring to you as you seem to be the expert. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What do the organisers of the Leeds Festival put down at Bramham Park in Wetherby then to stop it being ruined? I am deferring to you as you seem to be the expert. 

Bramham Park is huge compared to Hillsborough Park. It’s also not in a suburban area.