Hillsbrough Park Over Used?

11 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I know you don't really mean 'literally', in the literal sense, but even so, this simply isn't true. The number of venues in the city centre putting on live music schedules during the Tramlines festival these days is nothing like the numbers that where doing it when the festival was actually based there.

There is still an obvious Tramlines presence in the CC over the weekend - plenty going on for people to enjoy - but it isn't on the same scale that it used to be.

Well yes. On the flip side it's utter nonsense to say nothing is going on either 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 07:41, HeHasRisen said:

So you concede the area in front of the main stage at Bramham Park, with a few ten thousand people on it, is liable to turn into a mud bath as much as Hillsborough Park is?

The size of the park is irrelevant, Tramlines doesn't need a bigger venue unless they want to sell more tickets. 

Again, this thread is one massive overreaction to a freak July three day downpour. 

The size (and location) of the park are actually very relevant.  I’m trying hard not to be rude, but I’ve explained at least twice before that a suburban park like Hillsborough is important for recreational use by local people.  I’ve also explained why ‘they can just use another park’ is not as straightforward as it might seem to be.  And I’ve explained why damaged grass at a festival in a 500 acre park of a country house is not problematic in the same way as in a suburban public park that is 10 times smaller (even if the Leeds festival is 3 times bigger than Tramlines).  I’ve also explained that although July this year was particularly wet, even more normal summer rain  can turn grass into a mud bath.  I also explained that heavy rain isn’t unusual in the UK and that big festivals held in summer such as Glastonbury and Download are well known for often being muddy.  
I’m sure nothing is ever going to change your mind on this though so I’ll leave it here because this is going around in circles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The Council selling off free to use community assets to a private company to build pay and play facilities and a cafe that's not needed; great news!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Micky D said:

The Council selling off free to use community assets to a private company to build pay and play facilities and a cafe that's not needed; great news!!!

The existing courts in that location are not free to use though, are they? £5 per hour - https://tennissheffield.com/book/courts/hillsborough-park

And from the article I linked to, one of the new facilities will be - "A resurfaced and redesigned, free to use, multi-use games area with basketball and football markings as well as floodlighting."

Where does it say anywhere in that article that the council are selling off the land to a private company?

Did you actually read the article?

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The existing courts in that location are not free to use though, are they? £5 per hour - https://tennissheffield.com/book/courts/hillsborough-park

And from the article I linked to, one of the new facilities will be - "A resurfaced and redesigned, free to use, multi-use games area with basketball and football markings as well as floodlighting."

Where does it say anywhere in that article that the council are selling off the land to a private company?

Did you actually read the article?

I have read the article, if you can call it that; it's virtually a council press release.  it does not say anywhere within that text that the council are selling off land, why would it?  The council are trying to sugar coat a money making deal that they have concocted with a private company where both parties will profit.

If you want to read an article about how people who care about Hillsborough Park feel about the deal you describe as sounding good, take a look at this

https://jusmedia.co.uk/theedge/2023/11/09/friends-of-hillsborough-park-announce-they-are-dissolving/?fbclid=IwAR049gh3rCNU4YWutGX79eI9oJ3uiJktukFiF_RcV_jMTq7oIinnbOcCfP4

Edited by Micky D
typo

14 hours ago, Micky D said:

I have read the article, if you can call it that; it's virtually a council press release.  it does not say anywhere within that text that the council are selling off land, why would it?  The council are trying to sugar coat a money making deal that they have concocted with a private company where both parties will profit.

If you want to read an article about how people who care about Hillsborough Park feel about the deal you describe as sounding good, take a look at this

https://jusmedia.co.uk/theedge/2023/11/09/friends-of-hillsborough-park-announce-they-are-dissolving/?fbclid=IwAR049gh3rCNU4YWutGX79eI9oJ3uiJktukFiF_RcV_jMTq7oIinnbOcCfP4

What's there now, a free to use MUGA, and pay to play tennis courts. What will be there after, exactly the same.

And if both parties profit, and the public are no better or worse off, then what's the problem?

The work of the Friends group, whilst very admirable, doesn't mean they own the park. It could well be that some noses have been put out of joint, because someone else is doing something in "their" park

52 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's there now, a free to use MUGA, and pay to play tennis courts. What will be there after, exactly the same.

And if both parties profit, and the public are no better or worse off, then what's the problem?

The work of the Friends group, whilst very admirable, doesn't mean they own the park. It could well be that some noses have been put out of joint, because someone else is doing something in "their" park

This group will be severely impacted by the new facilities.  The size of the MUGA is being considerably reduced, limiting what this worthwhile group can offer.

https://www.sheffieldcycling4all.org/

How often do you use Hillsborough Park now and will you be using the new courts and cafe?

Charge dog walkers £1 each to use the park, the damage dogs do to the grass when charging around like idiots after balls has to be paid for by someone, so why not charge the dogs owners?

Plus they wear out the path with their paws.  

4 legs will always cause more damage to a footpath than 2 legs

• Haha 2