Hillsbrough Park Over Used?

Just seen a news report that Hillsborough Park is now fully opened to the public four months after Tramlines, following repairs to the grounds. 

Something needs to be done.  You can't have one of the main green spaces in Sheffield partially closed off & out of bounds for months on end, year after year, especially as we, the council tax payers are the ones contributing to keep such parks open for our use ALL year. 

It's a tired phrase but I trust lessons will have been learned? 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just seen a news report that Hillsborough Park is now fully opened to the public four months after Tramlines, following repairs to the grounds. 

Something needs to be done.  You can't have one of the main green spaces in Sheffield partially closed off & out of bounds for months on end, year after year, especially as we, the council tax payers are the ones contributing to keep such parks open for our use ALL year. 

How many years in a row has Hillsborough Park been partially closed off for months on end? Asking because I don't often visit that part of town.

57 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

How many years in a row has Hillsborough Park been partially closed off for months on end? Asking because I don't often visit that part of town.

Once.  Because of biblically bad weather in July.   And not all of it, as you say.

Other parks are available...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are rubber mats you can get that protect the grass from people walking on it. It has little rings for the tops of the grass to spurt through. It's unsightly but I am not sure the festival goers will have time to admire the horticulture anyway.

Yes there's plenty of things that can be put down to protect grass, even from vehicles parking on it, let alone people dancing or stood about. 

Don't get me wrong I'm all for things like Tramlines that raise the profile of the city & bring money into the city economy but surely better that those running Tramlines be made to pay for protection of the grassy areas & then pay for minimal damage than end up paying for vast areas of repair & having large areas of Hillsborough Park out of bounds for months. 

Add the protection costs to the price of the Tramlines ticket & call it an 'Environmental Protection' subsidy & the Green; Gen Z et al will buy into it. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How many other parks were closed in July?

None. So anyone desperate to use a part could have gone there. Easy. 

To be pedantic, Hillsborough Park hasn't been closed for months anyway. Parts of the grass have been inaccessible. That's about it. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 20/11/2023 at 07:47, Baron99 said:

It's not.  There's still a section that is closed off.  Or it was on Friday anyway.  And the Harris fencing around the big field seemed to go up and down a few times before it was finally removed!

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

To be pedantic, Hillsborough Park hasn't been closed for months anyway. Parts of the grass have been inaccessible. That's about it. 

So you've got a small terrace house with no garden, and young children, and little money, and you're close to Hillsborough park - this could be your garden.

Where do you go now if you can't afford to get over to Graves, or Millhouses?

And yes, I know it wasn't all closed off etc, etc, just trying to illustrate that people may be in different circumstances, and having most of the park closed through the whole of the school summer holiday will affect people differently.

Where did the kid's football club go?

Edited by Becky B
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Regardless of opinions of the various pros and cons of Tramlines, the old line of ‘people can just use another park’ doesn’t wash with me.  They don’t like people saying‘Tramlines could just be held at another venue’, because they prefer Hillsborough for various reasons.  It feels very entitled to me.   Most of the people attending Tramlines are adults, usually relatively young and with money to pay for entry fee and associated costs.  It feels that the young children, elderly, less mobile and less well off who get much benefit from their local park and might not find it easy to travel to ‘just go to another park’ are considered less important than a corporate festival.

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 2