Where Was Your First Legal Alcoholic Drink And Is The Pub Still There.

I was just reading a post on FB about the Ship Inn on Shalesmoor,  someone commented saying it was where they had their first legal drink.

It got me thinking about where I had my first legal beer which I had in the Moseley Arms on West Bar,  the pub has long been closed down like so many of the old pubs in Sheffield.

Where did other Sheffield Forum users have their first legal drink, is the pub still there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iansheff said:

I was just reading a post on FB about the Ship Inn on Shalesmoor,  someone commented saying it was where they had their first legal drink.

It got me thinking about where I had my first legal beer which I had in the Moseley Arms on West Bar,  the pub has long been closed down like so many of the old pubs in Sheffield.

Where did other Sheffield Forum users have their first legal drink, is the pub still there?

The Mosley Arms, that brings back many memories, I used to be a regular in there.

Just trying to remember the landlord, think his name was Eli or summat, 

My first drink was in the Penguin, but I was only 17. so it was "Illegal" 

My first legal drink “ Babycham”  was in The Grand Hotel in the centre of Sheffield. Where The Bessemer now is. Unfortunately my younger sister was  under age, drinking the same drink. We were on our way to a dance at The City Hall. We were unaware that two plain clothed police officers were also in the bar and charged my sister for under age drinking. They followed us to The City Hall and stood there in the ballroom to see if we went in the bar there. We had to appear in court but our mother went instead for us. She told the judge that we did not know that Babycham was an alcoholic drink.!

2 hours ago, Padders said:

The Mosley Arms, that brings back many memories, I used to be a regular in there.

thats where i work now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Hard to remember, I was drinking quite freely in all the pubs in my village from the start of Sixth Form onwards (was just about to turn 17).

Same here . I can remember my first pint but can’t remember my first legal pint. First pint was in Red Lion  on Charles St

Edited by hackey lad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Yes it was Eli. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

My first legal drink “ Babycham”  was in The Grand Hotel in the centre of Sheffield. Where The Bessemer now is. Unfortunately my younger sister was  under age, drinking the same drink. We were on our way to a dance at The City Hall. We were unaware that two plain clothed police officers were also in the bar and charged my sister for under age drinking. They followed us to The City Hall and stood there in the ballroom to see if we went in the bar there. We had to appear in court but our mother went instead for us. She told the judge that we did not know that Babycham was an alcoholic drink.!

On the night of my 18th we went in town and in the Museum, one of us was only 17, the landlord said I hope you are all 18 , less than 10 minutes later 2 police officers came in and straight to us.  My mate who was 17 showed him his student union card which said he was 18, the sergeant was happy but the young copper said yes but they can get what age they want put on these cards and took him outside and took his details, It didn't stop him going to the Genevieve with us though.