Profiteering?

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Are farmers poor, it's not what most would say.

Probably because most, like you,  base everything on stereotypes,  rather than real life and real people.

My guess would be that farmers are pretty much like everyone else, in that some are struggling whilst some are doing quite well.

What we do need to bear in mind is that it's acknowledged that we need to be more self sufficient in food as in other resources.

We have allowed ourselves to slip into a dependency on the rest of the world for almost everything we need and that can be a dangerous situation.

Farmers work long and hard and many have already left the industry.  We need to ensure that they can keep providing as much of our needs as possible. 

59 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Probably because most, like you,  base everything on stereotypes,  rather than real life and real people.

My guess would be that farmers are pretty much like everyone else, in that some are struggling whilst some are doing quite well.

Sir James Dyson is a British inventor, industrial designer, farmer, and business magnate who founded Dyson.

Are we talking about the ordinary farm workers that pick the crops that come from far afield, or the owners of the land, or the farmers that rent the land and send their children to private school?

Perhaps Anna would like to clarify?

I dont think that the cheap workers that live in make shift cabins and have come from abroad will benefit from higher supermarket prices.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Sir James Dyson is a British inventor, industrial designer, farmer, and business magnate who founded Dyson.

Are we talking about the ordinary farm workers that pick the crops that come from far afield, or the owners of the land, or the farmers that rent the land and send their children to private school?

I dont think that the cheap workers that live in make shift cabins and have come from abroad will benefit from higher supermarket prices.

I am quite obviously NOT talking about Dyson and it's laughable that you should dredge up a bloke like him in a conversation about farmers.

I am talking about ordinary farmers,  a lot of whom, rent their land and sons / daughters of retied farmers who are trying to keep their family business going.

Some families will own the land they farm and some will rent it. You are doing the same thing again and stereotyping people as though here are just 1 or 2 groups.

Farming itself is diverse, with sheep farmers,  cattle farmers,  crop farmers,  pig farmers,  poultry farmers,  dairy farmers,  and some who do a mixture of the lot.

People who make their livings from smallholdings are still classed as farmers and there are farmers raising alpaca's etc.

All different, with different kinds of land, which sometimes limits what you can do on it.   I presume you think every bit of land is  the same too.  Some grow crops and some raise animals.

I will repeat that,  My guess would be that farmers are pretty much like everyone else,  in that some are struggling whilst some are doing quite well.

Hardly any will be like Dyson so no,  they are not all millionaires.

Edited by Organgrinder

57 minutes ago, El Cid said:

James Dyson himself has taken himself and his manufacturing overseas  to avoid taxation.

Like most groups in society there are everything from vastly rich landowners, down to struggling tenant farmers.

But IMO we should be encouraging our farmers to grow more of our own food, so we have some food security, and are less dependent on the big corporations. 

Edited by Anna B

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

James Dyson himself has taken himself and his manufacturing overseas  to avoid taxation.

Just like those other Billionaires Lewis Hamilton and the Band U2 , those bastions of telling everyone else how they should help others yet when they can get away without paying more tax,....more hypocrisy.

Still, what's good for the goose.....

• Like 2