Government Instruct Train Companies To Close Ticket Offices-True Or False?

@martI did read something referring to this subject, somewhere, last week, but can't recall where, or the exact details - but I seem to recall it wasn't a Government instruction, rather an ATOC consultation on relocating ticket office staff to concourses/platforms so they were more visible/useful.

I'll see if I can find more details tomorrow, but no promises.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

No national closure lists as yet as the proposals below are going through a consultation procedure:

"Train companies launch passenger consultation on plans to modernise customer service across the rail network 

Staff would move out of ticket offices and on station platforms, concourses and ticket halls, adopting new ‘customer help’ roles already in place in many parts of the railway 

Proposals mean more face-to-face support available across the network to choose the cheapest tickets and advise on journey planning, as well as support those with accessibility needs 

Rail industry says bringing customer service roles up to date is long overdue, following a collapse in numbers of people using ticket offices."

The Government want another lever in their dispute with the unions and to save money.

Pledges from them are 

pledges for rail passengers about the proposals. 

They are:

*Across the network as a whole, there will be more staff available to give face to face help to customers out in stations than there are today

* Customers will never have to travel out of their way to buy tickets

*Those with accessibility needs will always be supported

*All rail staff will be treated fairly and their new roles will be more engaging

Currently there are rumours about closures and reductions including the closure of Meadowhall and reduction to one desk at Midland.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fools said:

sheffield wasn't on the list, last I saw.

Ok. Maybe the people outside Midland station were from other areas and trying to increase support.  I thought staff connected to rail Comps are private.

Edited by mart

Just now, mart said:

Ok. Maybe the people outside Midland station were from other areas and trying to increase support. I understand that.

At the moment I cannot think of a reason why a  government would want ticket offices to close ?? I thought staff connected to rail Comp are private.

These proposals/the consultation are led by ATOC, not the government, and I thanked @Annie Bynnol for finding the details, although I don't quite agree with their comments.

"Ok. Maybe the people outside Midland station were from other areas and trying to increase support. I understand that.

At the moment I cannot think of a reason why a  government would want ticket offices to close ?? I thought staff connected to rail Comp are private."

The Midland staff think that staffing will be reduced significantly.

The Government want the threat of ticket office closures to save money and influence their dealings with the unions.

Depending on the station, the office staff are employed by a train operating company(EMR in Sheffield) or Network Rail, all of which is part of the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) which are part of Rail Partners which will be part of Great British Railways in 2024. This 'stew' is the way that the Government can still pretend it privatized Railway, when in fact it controls everything.

My Facebook wall of late seems to be full of promoted posts by the RMT, posting pictures of queues at ticket offices to try and prove their point people still use them. Some of the pictures look years old and most are at major stations, where they are obviously going to be used,.

The village I grew up in has one train an hour in each direction and as far as I know STILL has a manned ticket office, surely thats just a waste.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

My Facebook wall of late seems to be full of promoted posts by the RMT, posting pictures of queues at ticket offices to try and prove their point people still use them. Some of the pictures look years old and most are at major stations, where they are obviously going to be used,.

The village I grew up in has one train an hour in each direction and as far as I know STILL has a manned ticket office, surely thats just a waste.

RMT is a dinosaur union - if they had their way, we would still be using steam trains.

The leaflet in the original post was written by a two year old.

Edited by RollingJ